Pet Peeves

Started by Midway Tommy, February 06, 2019, 04:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

When you get a reel and all the screws are chewed up from someone using the wrong size screwdriver.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Zimbass

Quote from: Cor on February 06, 2019, 06:16:03 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on February 06, 2019, 03:08:19 PM
Quote from: Cor on February 06, 2019, 02:50:21 PM
Quote from: Zimbass on February 06, 2019, 01:14:17 PM
Worse still is that Red Hot Sauce........... !!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's that, muti...made in Harare? ;D ;D
Quantum "Hot Sauce" is a red grease said to bond to the metal surface just as TSI-321 is said to.
. ;D ;D....and I thought it was some bearing lubricant supposed to make your reel spin forever ;D ;D

Now we have our Ohana confused with Muti Cor !!! (here we spell it Mooti). ;D
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Frank

Quote from: Lunker Larry on February 07, 2019, 02:23:13 AM
When you get a reel and all the screws are chewed up from someone using the wrong size screwdriver.

That drives me nuts too.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

foakes

Quote from: Lunker Larry on February 07, 2019, 02:23:13 AM

Yes, that is always dissapointing — but on the positive side — if they knew how to use the proper size screwdriver as we do — I likely would not get their reel for a service or rebuild.  They would do it themselves!😀😀😀

As to the grease and graphite — that is always a mess.  Especially that crud that has shiny stuff in it.  If this is inside of a plastic reel — you might as well just do the best you can by cleaning the parts and wiping off the inside of the housing.  Otherwise, any cleaner you use will ruin the frame and plastic parts.

Another pet peeve of mine — is those cheap spinners from China with the Phillips head screws self threaded into graphite or plastic.  The heads usually distort even with the proper screwdriver because they are so soft.  Must be made of solder, or something like that.

I generally let my clients know that these reels are not worth repairing.  Best to toss in the garbage and buy another from Wal-Bomb.  I generally just strip off the spool, crank, and bail assembly — and the rest goes into the trash.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)  Mine would be  line needs to be level on the spool , not looking like mountain tops and valleys.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Beemac

I love it when I hear; The reel has never been apart.
Nothing is in the correct order when you open it up.

farnorthlbg

Mine is receiving a magsealed reel that has been serviced previously by a shop/person who doesn't have mag oil to replenish the seals with but still takes on the job >:(

Usually results in new a ARB, head bearing from water intrusion (due to the big gaping hole where the seal should be), anti-reverse cam if the particular model has one and of course magsealed line roller bearings.  Expensive repairs created from fraudulent workmanship, see it too often and it does my head in!

George6308

Red Locktight over used, older Penn's corroded from not being cleaned nor cared for, messed up screw slots from careless use of non fitting screwdrivers, over tightened screws, and not having the place and time to exercise my Penn collection.

Newell Nut

The pet peeve for me is building a nice Newell with Tib frame for a guy. Tell to wash it thoroughly with plenty of fresh water after each use. 6 months later he calls me about the spool no spinning well and making noise. I go to the head boat where he works to get the reel. The frame is covered in electrolysis. That just makes me seriously angry when laziness just ruins a beautiful reel. Then the guy lies telling me he washes it. I guess he uses salt water wash.

Dwight

foakes

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 23, 2019, 05:12:50 PM
The pet peeve for me is building a nice Newell with Tib frame for a guy. Tell to wash it thoroughly with plenty of fresh water after each use. 6 months later he calls me about the spool no spinning well and making noise. I go to the head boat where he works to get the reel. The frame is covered in electrolysis. That just makes me seriously angry when laziness just ruins a beautiful reel. Then the guy lies telling me he washes it. I guess he uses salt water wash.

Dwight

That would bother me also, Dwight.

Some folks just have to have everything done for them — can't take any personal responsibility, are lazy, then try to blame someone else.  That is a problem with a large portion of our folks today.

My grandmother's favorite saying about folks like that, was —

"He's so lazy — he could be knee deep in a river — and die of thirst".

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Nice one Fred.  May I use that one?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on June 24, 2019, 03:48:57 AM
Nice one Fred.  May I use that one?  Dominick

Grandma Lena would be pleased if you did, Dominick —

Got whatever common sense I might have, mostly from her — she passed on in '68 at the age of 87.

I do not think a day goes by — that I don't appreciate some part of her life.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

Yeah. You're describing my favorite kinda people in society, especially in the workplace. Not your Grandma Fred, I'm being sarcastic about irresponsible people.

Plastic threaded parts, or plastic used anywhere in stress areas.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

When you get a reel with stripped out threads in composite/plastic. You know the ones you unscrew and the composite/plastic threads are still on the screw.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Lunker Larry on June 25, 2019, 04:13:24 PM
When you get a reel with stripped out threads in composite/plastic. You know the ones you unscrew and the composite/plastic threads are still on the screw.

In my world those are called throwaway reels. I wouldn't buy one let alone spending the time to service one. If we all boycotted those garbage reels the big boys would be forced to go back to a little quality in their design and manufacturing.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)