alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Pet Peeves
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 22, 2019, 05:28:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 408 times)
Lunker Larry

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 06:23:13 PM »

When you get a reel and all the screws are chewed up from someone using the wrong size screwdriver.

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?
Zimbass

Zimbabwe... the real Africa.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 07:59:29 PM »

Worse still is that Red Hot Sauce........... !!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's that, muti...made in Harare? Grin Grin
Quantum "Hot Sauce" is a red grease said to bond to the metal surface just as TSI-321 is said to.
. Grin Grin....and I thought it was some bearing lubricant supposed to make your reel spin forever Grin Grin

Now we have our Ohana confused with Muti Cor !!! (here we spell it Mooti). Grin

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.
Frank

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 12:36:09 PM »

When you get a reel and all the screws are chewed up from someone using the wrong size screwdriver.

That drives me nuts too.

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »

Yes, that is always dissapointing — but on the positive side — if they knew how to use the proper size screwdriver as we do — I likely would not get their reel for a service or rebuild.  They would do it themselves!😀😀😀

As to the grease and graphite — that is always a mess.  Especially that crud that has shiny stuff in it.  If this is inside of a plastic reel — you might as well just do the best you can by cleaning the parts and wiping off the inside of the housing.  Otherwise, any cleaner you use will ruin the frame and plastic parts.

Another pet peeve of mine — is those cheap spinners from China with the Phillips head screws self threaded into graphite or plastic.  The heads usually distort even with the proper screwdriver because they are so soft.  Must be made of solder, or something like that.

I generally let my clients know that these reels are not worth repairing.  Best to toss in the garbage and buy another from Wal-Bomb.  I generally just strip off the spool, crank, and bail assembly — and the rest goes into the trash.

Best,

Fred

A young apprentice once asked a Master Carpenter — “what was the most expensive tool you ever purchased, old timer?”

The older man just replied matter of factly —

“The one that didn’t work”...
oldmanjoe

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 02:10:52 PM »

Smiley  Mine would be  line needs to be level on the spool , not looking like mountain tops and valleys.

Grandpa`s word of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: