Avet EXW 50/2 Right side bearing removal

Started by Ralph165, February 06, 2019, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph165

Any suggestions on how to remove the right side plate bearing (handle side)? On my EXW 30W's the right side plate bearing just barely slips out between the frame and the drive gear. But on my 50W I can't seem to slip it through there.

Any suggestions on how I may remove it for service?

akfish

If you have the right split ring pliers, you can get the tip of the jaw behind the bearing and nudge it out. This works at least sometimes...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ralph165

Quote from: akfish on February 07, 2019, 12:22:28 AM
If you have the right split ring pliers, you can get the tip of the jaw behind the bearing and nudge it out. This works at least sometimes...

Thanks. That's a good tip.

I have a small dental pick that I get behind the bearing, and I can get it almost all the way out, but I can't get it all the way out past the drive gear. There just doesn't seem to be enough space. I am wondering if I need to remove the drive gear? Or is here some other way?

Like I mentioned, on my 30 I can just squeeze the bearing through.

Ralph165

Still looking for any advice on removing the side plate bearing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, do you guys service the drive shaft and bearing regularly? I did not see that mentioned in the 50 rebuild thread.

josa1

Removing the right side plate bearing is pretty easy.  It's the same procedure on most of the larger AVETs.  Look at the tutorial on the Avet 80 and follow that.

Here is a link: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18748.0

Good luck!

josa1

Ralph165

Quote from: josa1 on February 07, 2019, 10:52:29 PM
Removing the right side plate bearing is pretty easy.  It's the same procedure on most of the larger AVETs.  Look at the tutorial on the Avet 80 and follow that.

Here is a link: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18748.0

Good luck!

josa1

Guess I have to learn how to disassemble the drive shaft...oh boy! But I also guess that's something I should be doing anyways.

Thanks!

akfish

You don't have to disassemble the drive gear. The whole thing will drop out once you remove the handle and two speed button.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ralph165