Found One More Rod on the Way Home Today

Started by foakes, February 16, 2019, 03:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Heading home from the coast, made one more stop — found a 30-80 lb. Kencor Tenlew Magnaglas at 80".

Appears either used once — or never.

Just like the Fenwick — Aftco guides and a Varmac reel seat.

$43.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

nelz

It's the good karma comin' back at ya Fred!

MarkT

Are you looking to rewrap them or just flip them? I'd find a 30-80 rated glass rod with rollers to be pointless in this century.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Quote from: MarkT on February 16, 2019, 03:48:33 AM
Are you looking to rewrap them or just flip them? I'd find a 30-80 rated glass rod with rollers to be pointless in this century.

I have maybe a couple of dozen rods and reels that I personally use, Mark —

But the other 99% either get sold or stored. 

I would not rewrap any of these quality rods.

While to some, they may be pointless — there are plenty of folks who either use these or collect them.

So, if they are of decent quality, and a good value — I find them hard to pass up.

And I enjoy finding them.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Great job hunting up those classics Fred!  For those of us who understand, there's nothing like the adrenaline jolt that hits when you first set eyes upon a rare vintage Fenwick, Harnell, Truline, Nep-Tuna, etc. hiding in a stack of crappy old rods for sale cheap!

steelfish

another great find Fred.

this brings me memories when I was just starting to take fishing more seriously and hear about some "panga rods" is USA made my Koncor rods, of course I wanted to get me one of those Kencor Panga rod, they are from 4.9ft, 5.5 and no bigger than 6ft long specially made for fishing on this short boats, never got one, tho  :-\

no complain, those hard things to get where the ones that forced me to learn to made my own rods  ;D

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

While one part of me fully understand peoples desire to use & collect these older rods.
The other part of me agrees with Mark... Jeff

Shark Hunter

Nice find Fred. ;)
At $43, I would fish that bad boy with a 114H and catch me an 8 footer without breaking a sweat.
There is the Nostalgia factor in catching big fish on Vintage Gear.
Life is Good!

Gman_WC

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on February 16, 2019, 06:30:53 PM
Great job hunting up those classics Fred!  For those of us who understand, there's nothing like the adrenaline jolt that hits when you first set eyes upon a rare vintage Fenwick, Harnell, Truline, Nep-Tuna, etc. hiding in a stack of crappy old rods for sale cheap!
I'll second that. Found a few vintage Silafex and Sabre's. Just makes my day. Even dog one's with  a dog chewed handle us fine since they rewrapped.. Congrats. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

theswimmer

As BT was heard to say one evening  " We buy em too fish em! "
Nice find Fred.
That kind of condition is hens teeth.......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Donnyboat

Nice rod find Fred, matched up with a cencor reel would be great, not many reels around. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Aiala

Great score, Fred. Old-school rocks:D  I'd a million times rather fish with a venerable Fenglass rod than some insanely costly uber-skinny newfangled thing that more resembles a car antenna than anything else.  ::)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

Fred, great scores! While I do have a bunch of new graphite what look like bass rods but rated for 130 braid, I do favor bigger, scarred, made 50 years ago stuff...it reminds me of me :)