Live bait tuna (small/med size) rod for upgraded Penn Senator 4/0

Started by pjstevko, February 07, 2019, 03:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I need suggestions for a live bait rod for small to medium tuna...

The reel is a upgraded Penn 113HL 4/0 Senator which I won from a guy who used to use it for albacore. It has a Tiburon T4N1 extra narrow frame with a Tiburon handle. The reel is setup with 65 lb. braid backing, then a long topshot of new 50 lb. Softsteel and a short Seaguar 50 lb. flourocarbon leader

I live in the central valley so going to a bunch of tackle shops to get my hands on a few isn't really an option. I do have a brand new Turners Outdoors reasonably close so I'll check out what rod they have

I'd like to keep cost around $200 and I don't have any brand loyalty....

Thanks for info, Intel and suggestions

Bryan Young

I would recommend Okuma's PCH series of rods. I would consider PCH-C-801XH as one that will fit that need.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

A Seeker/Calstar 6465H or G6470H works well for 50#. I use a Seeker 6465H, G6470H, UC Tilefish and Phenix phd760xh for 50#. I caught most of my YT at Cedros last year on a G6470H/JX Raptor w/50#. My best 45.5# YT was on the 6465H w/50# at Cedros.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 07, 2019, 03:33:41 AM
I would recommend Okuma's PCH series of rods. I would consider PCH-C-801XH as one that will fit that need.

Well if Bryan recommends them than I'll definitely look into them!

I'm not afraid of buying used if that would get me a better quality rod.....

Keep the recommendations coming!

SoCalAngler

If you want to keep costs down look into glass rods. I'm like Marks pics, a Seeker Classic or Calstar WC should be pretty easy to find used and not cost that much. For 50 lb a 6.5' just feels right and gives me a lot of pulling power.

I don't know how much you want to spend but I picked up a like new Calstar GFTR 765L for $140, I got a smokin deal. A really good used glass rod should run about 1/2 that price, maybe a bit more.

pjstevko

My local Turner's sells Okuma's, Daiwa and Seekers so I'm going to look at those....I'm particularly interested in the Okuma's PCH and Daiwa Proteus rods

They are having a grand opening sale event in a few weeks so hopefully they'll have some good deals and I can pick up some great gear.....

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pjstevko

I'm having trouble figuring out what size I should be looking for.... I've gotten suggestions ranging from 6'6" all the way through 8'.....

I'm thinking a 7'6" XH 30-60# would be a good compromise.....

Am I on the right track?

Bryan Young

I personally like longer rods, 8-9 feet for casting live bait. For fishing live bait with a dropper loop, I like a 6-7 feet rods.

Just my preference.

scrinch

Quote from: pjstevko on February 07, 2019, 08:19:02 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 07, 2019, 03:33:41 AM

Well if Bryan recommends them than I'll definitely look into them!

I'm not afraid of buying used if that would get me a better quality rod.....

Keep the recommendations coming!

I used this rod (PCH-C-801XH) with my Baja Special (4/0) with braid and 50lb mono at Cedros for yellowtail this past year. I was very happy with it.

pjstevko

[/quote]

I used this rod (PCH-C-801XH) with my Baja Special (4/0) with braid and 50lb mono at Cedros for yellowtail this past year. I was very happy with it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the review

pjstevko

My local Turner's Outdoors had its grand opening sale today so I went down to pick up a few things, most importantly a new rod for my hot rodded 4/0.......I got a

Okuma PCH-C-801XH for $159 out the door

And a new spinner to throw coltsnipers and megabaits

Shimano Teramar Inshore West Coast Spinning Rod - TMS80HB for $144 out the door

Can't wait to put them both to good use this August out of San Diego!

Bryan Young

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!