Reelseat improving?

Started by gstours, March 20, 2019, 03:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's a Fuji item I got recently to make a repair on a rod.  I like the channels inside to grip the graphite and prevent it moving.  Many people will do something to roughen the bore,  butt Fuji makes this even better in my opinion.   Thanks.🚣‍♀️

droppedit

I've been using those seats for years. I make sure I rough up the blank ( and the inside of the seat) some before I add the epoxy. Depending on the size of the blank I'll shim it with 1/4' masking tape so I have a good fit. Most of what I build on are larger diameter blanks so the use of bushings don't make it worth the time. Before putting the seat on the epoxied blank I'll take an old piece of blank and gob that up with epoxy and coat the inside of the seat and slide it on. After adding the front grip spine it and let everything dry. I've always reversed the seat so the nut comes down from the front. Most of the force comes from the back of the reel and if the ring is stationary it makes a more durable rod, specially when you got one of your slob butts coming up ;) also the reel will never loosen up that way.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

54bullseye

Droppedit  has made many rods for me using those seats and they are rugged and last forever but I am not a fan of having them upside down like Dave recommended above. I seem to loosen the nut some how while handling rod casting and reeling it up but Dave seems to like them upside down !! To each his own but I will say never had one twist or move !!  But I never caught a 100 lb Halibut on one of those rods !!!!  YET  ;D     John Taylor