WHAT SIZE GUIDE

Started by Dominick, February 07, 2019, 03:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I have a Penn Power Stick medium 10-25 lbs rod that has a broken guide.  It is the second guide and I would like to try a repair.  What do I order to make the repair.  I am guessing some epoxy, thread and of course the guide.  Anything else?  I have a wooden rod wrapping device that I bought years ago and have not used.  Please understand that I know nothing about rod repair so keep your suggestions simple (I'm not too bright).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brewcrafter

Dominick - I'm not too bright either, so hopefully my suggestions will be of value!  I know there is a wealth of info on this forum from true artists that I will defer to, but recently I replaced a guide on a old Fenwick bass rod that was my Dads.  So, in no particular order (keeping it simple):
I made some saddles that clamp to the side of my workbench.  Sounds like what you already have.
I know there are tons of suppliers out there, but the ones I have used (only in my newbieness) are Mudhole, and Squidco (located in San Diego).  The nice thing about Squidco - called them, got a live person on the phone that spent his time with me on what ended up being (I'm sure for them) a relatively small order (replacing 1 guide, just like you) and really gave good support and told me to call back if I had questions.
Wrapping threads - they come in all thicknesses.  Thicker is easier to handle.  I used #4 for my repair.
Guides - I think this is where I really liked the guys at Squidco.  I didn't have to buy a set, and after talking with the guy on the phone we had it figured to a couple of sizes.  Think about the style and diameter of the old guide (if you still have it) in terms of mm.  That what it will match up nicely with the rest of the rod.
After that, I cut the old one off by slicing through the wraps, cleaned up the blank, and spun the new one on.  Not a world class job but for somebody that has never done it before; if I can do it you can!  The wrappings on my came out OK but when I was using a flame to "set" the epoxy I got some dark spots. 
As usual there are zillions of videos on Oooh Tube, and I know there are serious pros turning out world class work on this forum, but as a guy who did a "one off" like what it sounds like you are attempting, no worries!  You got this! 

Shark Hunter

There you go Domo.
I have no input, as I am ignorant on rod building and plan to keep it that way.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Daron
Life is Good!

Captain64-200

It's a rather easy task , I started to replace  guides  by financial necessities many years ago  .The first one was a messy job  ,  but if you maintain a clean environment  , job is simple .

The only improvement I've made on the wooden jig  is a small motor to cure the epoxy .  BrewCrafter is right , there's plenty of vids that explain the process . 
Fred from Biarritz ,

thorhammer

Dommie, I expect your rod is a PC3810- if it has red trim probably Fuji ceramics and the second guide will be a 12 mm. If it's blue trim it will have Pac Bay chrome 12mm. Either way, i probably have it and will send out to you as well as thread. i'm sending back the Tank in  the next couple of days and will pack it right in.

Text me or send me a pic.

Sincerely yours,

The Hammer

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on February 07, 2019, 12:14:33 PM
Dommie, I expect your rod is a PC3810- if it has red trim probably Fuji ceramics and the second guide will be a 12 mm. If it's blue trim it will have Pac Bay chrome 12mm. Either way, i probably have it and will send out to you as well as thread. i'm sending back the Tank in  the next couple of days and will pack it right in.

Text me or send me a pic.

Sincerely yours,

The Hammer

John, thanks to you for your generosity.  The rod is blue trimmed and it is model #PC3723 M 7'.  Well not exactly blue but blue leaning toward green.  It looks like metal guide with a ceramic circle that fell out.  Is there a secret to lining it up to be sure it is straight?  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Brewcrafter, thanks that is helpful.  Dominick

thorhammer

I've replaced dozens of those Fuji BNLG's over the years, and many on Power Stick's....my preferred king mack live bait rods. if you are able, you will find it easier to just remove the wrap directly over the guide feet with a knife. Be careful. I make circular score all the way around and then cut back towards the middle. This will keep you from having to re-wrap 9 trim rings to match. Take care to only cut down through the black thread. Once done and epoxy edges chamfered  / dressed a bit, tape one foot down to wrap. Pick it up and eyeball it as you would a rifle: through the guides, looking down the top, and flipping over to align with the keyway on the back of the reel seat. Wrap other foot. Eyeball again, you will be able to tweak it again if needed but do it gently, you might pop your whip finish and have to rewrap that winding. When you apply your finish, go over both existing and new wraps down to a mm or so outside the outer trim band.

J

steelfish

Paisano Dom, (not really a paisano but we use that word a lot too )

why dont you post a picture of your guide still on the rod that you want to replace?

most of my experience is restoring rods so, I might have a tip for you
The Baja Guy

Dominick

steelfish

thanks for the pic Dom, my compa John already covered the basic info to start changing a rod guide, I would add that I always heat a bit the epoxy on the guide feet with a lighter, but just a bit until warm if its too hot to touch it to applied too much heat, always use a brand new single edge razorblade, that way you will feel the difference from cutting an old dried epoxy on the guide feet against cutting a heated (warm) old epoxy, some epoxies dry really hard as nails and you might cut you hand or finger trying to cut the hard epoxy, with just a bit of heat the job is 3x easier.

sometimes when you cut through the epoxy on that secures the guide feet wrap you can find the end of the thread, so you can just pull it out and it will start to unwrap around the blank, then if that happens to you, I would stop to unwrap 3/8" after the end of the guide feet to leave the rest of the stock wrap alone and be able to use it just as JOhn said, that will save you from wrapping some trims.

Quote from: thorhammer on February 07, 2019, 07:28:12 PM
I've replaced dozens of those Fuji BNLG's over the years, and many on Power Stick's....my preferred king mack live bait rods. if you are able, you will find it easier to just remove the wrap directly over the guide feet with a knife. Be careful. I make circular score all the way around and then cut back towards the middle. This will keep you from having to re-wrap 9 trim rings to match. Take care to only cut down through the black thread. Once done and epoxy edges chamfered  / dressed a bit, tape one foot down to wrap. Pick it up and eyeball it as you would a rifle: through the guides, looking down the top, and flipping over to align with the keyway on the back of the reel seat. Wrap other foot. Eyeball again, you will be able to tweak it again if needed but do it gently, you might pop your whip finish and have to rewrap that winding. When you apply your finish, go over both existing and new wraps down to a mm or so outside the outer trim band.
J

when I started I was afraid to try those metallic trims, two times I did what I just described, check the pics
the next is my 1st ever guide wraped and epoxied.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18922.msg201430#msg201430

you can see the difference in tone of the brown thread between the new thread and the old stock one, but that rod is still fishing and the owner was happy with the quick fix, of course right now I just take everything on that section, rod guide, overwrap, under wrap, clean everything to leave a smooth surface and put everything again  ;)

take a good read of what other ohana members adviced me on may 2016
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17977.0

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Thanks for the help.  I ordered a dryer and some epoxy.  I'll post some pics when I work it.  I hope I don't get hooked.
Dominick

droppedit

Quote from: Dominick on February 08, 2019, 03:32:46 AM
I hope I don't get hooked.
Dominick

lol, next thing you know you'll have a house smelling like alcohol and bits of tape and thread in every room. I always thought it was the 2-part epoxy that effects the grey cells and makes you stay up all night cussing and complaining about the thread that broke on the butt wrap. It is an addictive hobby and hope you'll enjoy it.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

thorhammer

You bought a dryer instead of just turning it by hand on two boxes with 5 minute devcon. You, my friend, are toast!! :) 

I started out fixing a tip. then a guide. Then, hell, here's a lamiglass at a yard sale for ten bucks with a missing eye and tip. I can get a set of Fuji's at the tackle shop for ten bucks and I'll have a Lamiglas wrapped custom color for $20! wow....this is greaaatttttttt lol 

Dominick