alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial WHAT SIZE GUIDE
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
July 08, 2020, 08:54:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT SIZE GUIDE  (Read 1264 times)
Fishy247

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »

Oh oh... 

You got that right bubba! I started repairing guides on my own rods after about a 20 year hiatus. I gotta tell ya man, this rabbit hole is DEEP! Now I've got a lathe, dryer, guides and thread up the wazoo, and a closet full of blanks! Lovin every minute of it though. Wink

Mike
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »

You got that right bubba! I started repairing guides on my own rods after about a 20 year hiatus. I gotta tell ya man, this rabbit hole is DEEP! Now I've got a lathe, dryer, guides and thread up the wazoo, and a closet full of blanks! Lovin every minute of it though. Wink
Mike

lol, next thing you know you'll have a house smelling like alcohol and bits of tape and thread in every room. I always thought it was the 2-part epoxy that effects the grey cells and makes you stay up all night cussing and complaining about the thread that broke on the butt wrap. It is an addictive hobby and hope you'll enjoy it.
Dave

I started out fixing a tip. then a guide. Then, hell, here's a lamiglass at a yard sale for ten bucks with a missing eye and tip. I can get a set of Fuji's at the tackle shop for ten bucks and I'll have a Lamiglas wrapped custom color for $20! wow....this is greaaatttttttt lol 

thanks guys, I dont feel alone in this world anymore.

Oh oh...  Dominick
too late for a Oh oh buddy, now your money belongs to mudhole, getbit, utmost, etc, etc
Fishy247

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »

Don't forget that our own John Vadney is local here in SJ. He's a dealer for components and is always more than happy to help out with any sort of advice and showing different techniques. He's shown me a LOT of tricks!
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »

The weather finally warmed up enough to work on the rod (picture posted above).  I messed up by taking too much of the old metallic thread so I lost the metallic ring on the right.  I feel good about the basic structure.  Dominick

* P1000616.JPG (6360.5 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 48 times.)

* P1000615.JPG (6011 KB, 4608x3456 - viewed 46 times.)

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 03:26:52 PM »

that looks really good Dominicko

2x better than my 1st epoxy job.

Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »

Yeah but...Look at what you are doing now.  I can't compete.  Dominick

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »

Yeah but...Look at what you are doing now.  I can't compete.  Dominick

yep, but thats the result of an average of 4 years of making mistakes, you can avoid some of them, just ask me, I can tell you what you should not do in rod building LOL.

if I could do it, you can do it, mi amigo
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »

Thanks amigo.  Dominick

Swami805

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »

I have some metallic thread that color, I'll send you some if you want to add those trim bands. No trick to it if you can wrap a guide
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 07:36:37 PM »

I have some metallic thread that color, I'll send you some if you want to add those trim bands. No trick to it if you can wrap a guide

I appreciate the offer.  Thank you.  I needed to fix the guide.  I don't particularly care how the rod looks.  So no thank you.  Dominick

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: