WHAT SIZE GUIDE

Started by Dominick, February 07, 2019, 03:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

QuoteOh oh... 

You got that right bubba! I started repairing guides on my own rods after about a 20 year hiatus. I gotta tell ya man, this rabbit hole is DEEP! Now I've got a lathe, dryer, guides and thread up the wazoo, and a closet full of blanks! Lovin every minute of it though. ;)

Mike

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on February 08, 2019, 04:48:46 PM
You got that right bubba! I started repairing guides on my own rods after about a 20 year hiatus. I gotta tell ya man, this rabbit hole is DEEP! Now I've got a lathe, dryer, guides and thread up the wazoo, and a closet full of blanks! Lovin every minute of it though. ;)
Mike

Quote from: droppedit on February 08, 2019, 11:55:28 AM
lol, next thing you know you'll have a house smelling like alcohol and bits of tape and thread in every room. I always thought it was the 2-part epoxy that effects the grey cells and makes you stay up all night cussing and complaining about the thread that broke on the butt wrap. It is an addictive hobby and hope you'll enjoy it.
Dave

Quote from: thorhammer on February 08, 2019, 02:03:27 PM
I started out fixing a tip. then a guide. Then, hell, here's a lamiglass at a yard sale for ten bucks with a missing eye and tip. I can get a set of Fuji's at the tackle shop for ten bucks and I'll have a Lamiglas wrapped custom color for $20! wow....this is greaaatttttttt lol 

thanks guys, I dont feel alone in this world anymore.

Quote from: Dominick on February 08, 2019, 03:54:02 PM
Oh oh...  Dominick
too late for a Oh oh buddy, now your money belongs to mudhole, getbit, utmost, etc, etc
The Baja Guy

Fishy247

Don't forget that our own John Vadney is local here in SJ. He's a dealer for components and is always more than happy to help out with any sort of advice and showing different techniques. He's shown me a LOT of tricks!

Dominick

The weather finally warmed up enough to work on the rod (picture posted above).  I messed up by taking too much of the old metallic thread so I lost the metallic ring on the right.  I feel good about the basic structure.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

that looks really good Dominicko

2x better than my 1st epoxy job.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Yeah but...Look at what you are doing now.  I can't compete.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on March 20, 2019, 12:53:31 AM
Yeah but...Look at what you are doing now.  I can't compete.  Dominick

yep, but thats the result of an average of 4 years of making mistakes, you can avoid some of them, just ask me, I can tell you what you should not do in rod building LOL.

if I could do it, you can do it, mi amigo
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Thanks amigo.  Dominick

Swami805

I have some metallic thread that color, I'll send you some if you want to add those trim bands. No trick to it if you can wrap a guide
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: Swami805 on March 20, 2019, 03:31:37 AM
I have some metallic thread that color, I'll send you some if you want to add those trim bands. No trick to it if you can wrap a guide

I appreciate the offer.  Thank you.  I needed to fix the guide.  I don't particularly care how the rod looks.  So no thank you.  Dominick