Wrinkle paint

Started by Cubby1973, February 07, 2019, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cubby1973

Hi all! Curious to everyone's procedures when painting their reels with wrinkle paint. I recently tried it out on a 331 that was in bad shape and the results were mixed. Some areas looked awesome and some not so great. Strip don't strip, prime don't prime heavy/light coats heat gun, oven or air dry...etc.

Thanks
Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

Fred - over to you I think ;)

foakes

What has worked for me is Eastwood's Wrinkle spray paint.

Then I use a toaster oven set at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.

If it is a stripped clean part — I heat the part prior to fogging on the paint very lightly — then use the oven again at 200 for 20 minutes.

I have just ordered a dual voltage powder coating gun, better oven, and a blasting cabinet to do paint removal with various media's.  Bead, walnut, plastic pellets, soda, and sand.

We will see how it works.

Eastwood and others make powder wrinkle paint in various colors — so this is going to be fun.

Looking forward to getting it dialed in to a simple and consistently reproducible system.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gstours

When I use wrinkle paint I always prime, and use several coats and not let it dry between coats of paint.  Use a device to rotate the part to prevent runs.  Top coat is quite heavy.   Then dry in warm room.
  This is rattle can wrinkle.   It can hide the best of the bad!🤦‍♂️

Cubby1973

I used the VHT wrinkle paint and followed directions. Said 3 heavy coats. No wonder things are rubbing! Gonna go ahead and strip completely and start over.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gman_WC

In the past I've cleaned and dried part with brake cleaner.
Heated part with heat gun. Heat and just mist it on in small amounts.
Started with a prime coat, then a few light coatings with heat gun so
paint does not run. It's what worked for me on home build Kalashnikov's.  :o
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Cubby1973

Not perfect, but for first try it will do.

foakes

Looks great, Homer!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

It looks pretty darn good to me.
Nice job Cubby
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 10, 2019, 12:28:11 AM
It looks pretty darn good to me.
Nice job Cubby
x2,,,,great job man,,,,,, ;D

mo65

I agree...it looks just fine. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cubby1973

Forgot the before pics. These were the pics taken by the seller.

mo65

Quote from: Cubby1973 on February 10, 2019, 03:00:54 AM
Forgot the before pics. These were the pics taken by the seller.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

You did good, my friend!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)