In desperate need of a shim

Started by hafnor, February 19, 2019, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Hey guys. I am just so sick of dealing with daiwas costumer service so I thought I could ask all you reel-heads for a small part.

I am in need of a shim for the right side plate of a saltiga 5000H Spinner. The original shim was in a goldish color (brass?) not that its a must.... The shim measures outside diameter 20mm, inside: 14mm and thickness is 1mm. Anybody wanting to sell me one....? I believe that the shim that I lost actually was in half the size (0,5mm - very thin) but I would easily pay for some if you have in any thickness sub 1,5mm (I am sure I am able to adapt to make it a snug fit).

It has to be posted to Norway, but I will ofcourse cover shipping and price for the shim. Let me know guys- I am in desperate need and pissed of at the lack of response from Daiwa.

Best from Norway- Thor

Reel 224

You can buy shim material at McMasters and make your own, so you don't have to be bothered Diawa for those anymore.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

I will see what I have later this morning —

Joe is right about M-C material sheets...the problem is that M-C, like many companies, rightfully so...might charge $12 to $20 to ship it to Norway — then the shim needs to be cut, fitted, and smoothed on the edges.

Someone will have one on here — and I sent a small part in an envelope to The Netherlands a week ago — cost was $1.50 and an envelope — arrival time was less than 3 days from the West Coast of the US.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

the closest one i have is a copper shim that measures 14x18x1.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

McMaster Carr has what he needs in stainless.

Mike

alantani

https://www.mcmaster.com/shims

Metric 316 Stainless Steel Round Shims

The most corrosion resistant metric round shims we offer. Use them to precisely align, level, and adjust spacing on shafts and machinery in corrosive environments.

For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.

ID,
mm   ID Tolerance,
mm   OD,
mm   OD Tolerance,
mm   Material   Min. Hardness   Pkg.
Qty.       Pkg.
1mm Thick. (-0.105mm to 0.105mm Tolerance)
14   -0.3 to 0.3   20   -0.05 to 0.05   316 Stainless Steel   Rockwell B70   10   90214A531   $12.81
Metric 18-8 Stainless Steel Round Shims

These shims have good corrosion resistance. Use them to precisely align, level, and adjust spacing on shafts and machinery in corrosive environments.

For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.

ID,
mm   ID Tolerance,
mm   OD,
mm   OD Tolerance,
mm   Material   Min. Hardness   Pkg.
Qty.       Pkg.
1mm Thick. (-0.105mm to 0.105mm Tolerance)
14   -0.3 to 0.3   20   -0.05 to 0.05   18-8 Stainless Steel   Rockwell B70   25   98089A392   $11.83

alantani

i'd have to order them, then ship them to you.  alternatively, if you have a diawa part number. i can call daiwa and see if they will send one to me. 

hafnor

I am still to this day astounded of how helpful this site is! Thank you all gentlemen. Alan: I just might think that the shim you got laying around will work. I will pay good interest for the service. Could I send you my details on a personal message?

Daiwa doesnt have it in their schematics... no parts number for the part....

philaroman

general FYI:

if you ship small parts by USPS & it looks like a letter, make sure it's marked "HAND SORT"
otherwise, it's likely to be machine-sorted (high-speed meshing rollers) & part(s) may be gone/ruined
I've received envelopes w/ just paperwork & a torn "track" where the metal parts were squeezed out

Keta

This part is small and thin, it can be taped to a sheet of paper and put in an envelope with no sorting machine jams.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

correct.  it will take four stamps on a plain envelope going first class post. so $2 usd to ship.  send me a pm with your address and i'll drop a couple into the mail. 

hafnor