Pflueger Capitals 1988

Started by oldmanjoe, February 07, 2019, 10:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I picked up 4  1988 capitols for my bamboo rods.    I found some variances in this model .    3 are German Silver and one is chrome .
The chrome face has the lettering at 12 o`clock and the slivers are at 9 o`clock positions.
There is a pin at the 8 o`clock position to unlock the take apart front plate .

There is two styles of pins .   One is smooth spring load and the other is threaded into the face plate .  So if you can`t pull the pin straight out , turn the pin counter clockwise     

After  unlocking turn the face plate counter clockwise , There is two scribe lines on the ring and one on the bakelite plate . 
  They usually move pretty easy, but some times they are stubborn .   There is another thread were a strap wrench is used . http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12217.msg119542#msg119542.
    < Note >       There is 4 pins that are part of the  lock mechanism , 2 of them are the lower cross bars ,so loosing them might help if you have a stuck face plate .
A picture of this to help understand . 

The bridge is next to remove , after the handle and star are removed . 4 bigger screw on the face plate drops the bridge .   < Note >   You don`t have to worry about a dog and spring , they stay with the bridge .
Also note that on top of the drag stack there is a trip arm to knock the spool back into gear . It is marked UP for position in the picture.
A center screw in the stem will break down the rest of the assembly .
The dog is riveted to the bridge .

The face plate can now be removed from the bakelite spacer, the face plate has two locating pins .  From the backside tap it out.
   There is a little plate that slides out with the push button / u shaped free spool assembly , that is spring loaded .   It will not fly any were just a  <note> self explanatory.

The free spool assembly is next .   remove the outer spring  [shone under the screwdriver ]       The two outer small screws are removed .  The fork is spring loaded and self contained so no real flying parts .
The easy way to remove is push the fork toward the outside , flip the hold down bracket upside down .   This will give you more room to pull back the fork and unhook it from the fingers .   <    NOTE >  The pictures that i took still have the spring in place that i said to remove ...

This is the reason why i went this far , the middle screw was loose it has a nut on the back that will not tighten with out a 5/ 16 wrench holding it.

Reassembly is easy, just reverse order .  the fork take a little wiggle to get in , round part of the spring on top on center bushing ,push down and outward work it under the fingers.

Note there is two types spool and gear dogs that can be found in these reels
     One is a 3 dog design and the other is a ratchet design

You can tell which one you have with out disassembling the reel.    Tighten up   the drag ,hold handle , turn the spool in the take up rotation .   It will turn and ratchet easy , if it doesn`t turn you have a 3 dog .

Sometime things don`t look right like this .  The drag stack and cup is up side down . It worked , just didn`t have good tight drag setting !!!

That`s about it for the high lights of this reel!!      Joe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Very nice Joe.  Those look like solid reels. 

We have seen a clutch like that here recently.  I think it was in a thread about an old Penn with a clutch that was different from the usual Penn but I cannot find the thread again.  Was that the Pflueger patent Penn infringed upon??

-steve

oldmanjoe

I don`t know  about the patent infringement .      Just a up side down clutch cup on one of the reels i serviced.   joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare