Carbonex drag/ brass

Started by Chuck750ss, February 09, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Seems like I read somewhere about not using carbonex drags with the older brass metal washers. Got one old Shakespeare that I have set up like that with a couple of seasons of catfishing on it. Nothing hard. I am about to set up a 2081 that I picked up cheap for a surf fishing reel.
Any input? Thanks in advance.

Alto Mare

In my own opinion, you will do just fine.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 09, 2019, 05:40:25 PM
In my own opinion, you will do just fine.

Sal

Yes, it will be very good.  Just make sure the brass original discs are flat and smooth, with no gouges or rough spots, grease the CF's with Cal's — and it will be perfect in a 2081, or any other reel for that matter.

The only exception would be HD Salt conventional reels that might have to work long and hard enough to generate a lot of heat — which is unlikely to damage the stack anyway.

Brass will do fine.

Oftentimes, it is tough to find SS discs for older reels — and the CF greased is the key element anyway.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Chuck750ss

Thanks guys. I am using Cals. And the 2091 I set up for catfishing is just fine after a couple of years of use. Maybe I just dreamed I had read that somewhere! I am suffering more and more from crs these days for sure! ;)