alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Restoring older reel with green on it...
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 22, 2019, 04:35:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring older reel with green on it...  (Read 281 times)
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 07:14:31 AM »

Glad to help you, or others when you are ready, John —

There are some economical and sensible methods that have worked for me —

For me, it boils down to being able to disassemble a reel — use (2) types of cleaners at the same time in different beakers — Simple green cut 50/50 with water for the Bakelite, and lacquer thinner for the metal non-painted parts.

Plastic parts get a soak in hot water and Dawn dish soap overnight — or if I am in a hurry, just 10 minutes then a toothbrush. 

Simple green will ruin plastic parts — and lacquer thinner will melt them into a primordial goo — similar to melted crud.

I do have some simple procedures that will allow me to completely clean every tiny part and crevice of a reel — dried, and ready for reassembly — in less than 30 minutes.

Best,

Fred

A young apprentice once asked a Master Carpenter — “what was the most expensive tool you ever purchased, old timer?”

The older man just replied matter of factly —

“The one that didn’t work”...
Darin Crofton
Tampa, FL Photographer
Firearms Group

Work is for people who don't fish!

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »

How about getting these sideplates off, the insides are not too hard, but the outside plates are giving me a fit???

It's a 1/0 penn senator
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:21:12 PM by Darin Crofton » Logged

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »

I'm guessing you're talking about the rings Darin. I use a snap blade utility knife, I hold it between the ring and the plate and give it a little pressure until it moves a little. I would then use the front side of the blade and tilt it gently to open it some more.
you would then follow with a flat head screwdriver, being gentle and it should come right off.

Do this by the stand location. In case you create a little chip, it would show the least there.
Good luck!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Darin Crofton
Tampa, FL Photographer
Firearms Group

Work is for people who don't fish!

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »

I'm guessing you're talking about the rings Darin. I use a snap blade utility knife, I hold it between the ring and the plate and give it a little pressure until it moves a little. I would then use the front side of the blade and tilt it gently to open it some more.
you would then follow with a flat head screwdriver, being gentle and it should come right off.

Do this by the stand location. In case you create a little chip, it would show the least there.
Good luck!

Sal
ahh rats, I def meant rings, thanks Sal it worked Grin Grin Grin

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: