Restoring older reel with green on it...

Started by Darin Crofton, February 09, 2019, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Glad to help you, or others when you are ready, John —

There are some economical and sensible methods that have worked for me —

For me, it boils down to being able to disassemble a reel — use (2) types of cleaners at the same time in different beakers — Simple green cut 50/50 with water for the Bakelite, and lacquer thinner for the metal non-painted parts.

Plastic parts get a soak in hot water and Dawn dish soap overnight — or if I am in a hurry, just 10 minutes then a toothbrush. 

Simple green will ruin plastic parts — and lacquer thinner will melt them into a primordial goo — similar to melted crud.

I do have some simple procedures that will allow me to completely clean every tiny part and crevice of a reel — dried, and ready for reassembly — in less than 30 minutes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

How about getting these sideplates off, the insides are not too hard, but the outside plates are giving me a fit???

It's a 1/0 penn senator
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

I'm guessing you're talking about the rings Darin. I use a snap blade utility knife, I hold it between the ring and the plate and give it a little pressure until it moves a little. I would then use the front side of the blade and tilt it gently to open it some more.
you would then follow with a flat head screwdriver, being gentle and it should come right off.

Do this by the stand location. In case you create a little chip, it would show the least there.
Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 10, 2019, 10:42:58 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about the rings Darin. I use a snap blade utility knife, I hold it between the ring and the plate and give it a little pressure until it moves a little. I would then use the front side of the blade and tilt it gently to open it some more.
you would then follow with a flat head screwdriver, being gentle and it should come right off.

Do this by the stand location. In case you create a little chip, it would show the least there.
Good luck!

Sal
ahh rats, I def meant rings, thanks Sal it worked ;D ;D ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?