Started by milne, February 10, 2019, 07:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Wow, Joe, those are cool!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

milne

Hi Joe,
           Thanks for the photo's,  wow, now they look sweet !
     I got on the big sale sight last night and had a look for some, none down under here but a few different types on offer
  From your neck of the woods.
I like the idea, they look Vintage and superb and would look good displaying the old linen line next to the reels.
Thanks again Joe,  I'm on the look out.

Col

1badf350

I'm not an expert on line dryers so forgive me if this sounds ignorant. It does not appear to me that Col is gonna fit the whole spool of line on the line dryer unless it is the size of a Ferris Wheel. I assume they were designed to hold only the amount of line you had out. am I correct in my assumptions?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

JMO, but if it were Ray's, I'd def keep the line with it on a dryer or on the reel, as it was when he had it (after inspecting spool of course).

oc1

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 12, 2019, 12:49:53 PM
they were designed to hold only the amount of line you had out. am I correct in my assumptions?
Linen soaks up water like a sponge, wicks water and then stays wet for a long time.  After a day of trolling and splashing around I think you would end up having to remove and dry almost all of it.  But, linen is also thick compared to modern lines so a 12/0 did not hold many yards back then.
-steve

milne

I had a look on the big auction site, there's a few line dryers there, but I'd rather put my hard earned into reels at the minute.
I don't have another 12 as yet, so I'm going to make up a " Col special" line holder/dryer so as I can check out the spool.
I'll take a few Pic's of the spool, check out the condition of the line as well, make sure it's all Ok, then I'll put the line back on
the reel as it is now. maybe one day a big enough Vintage line dryer may present itself and I can use it....

Col

oc1

Make sure the Col Special has flanges, whatever it is.  If you wind it onto a straight dowel and one or two loops slip off the end later it will turn into a hopeless mess. 
-steve

1badf350

You can use an extension cord reel from the hardware store for under $20
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Quote from: oc1 on February 13, 2019, 07:41:49 AM
Make sure the Col Special has flanges, whatever it is.  If you wind it onto a straight dowel and one or two loops slip off the end later it will turn into a hopeless mess. 
-steve
Yep, don't want that happening Steve, I can imagine the tears afterwards !

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 13, 2019, 08:59:29 AM
You can use an extension cord reel from the hardware store for under $20
Your onto it Chris ! Perfect
I may even have something like that at the factory.

Col

oldmanjoe

Quote from: wfjord on February 13, 2019, 11:53:18 AM
A garden hose reel might be a good option for drying line and has a crank handle, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Yimai-Portable-Storage-Maximum-Connector/dp/B07FP5R8DV

[/quote   
   Skip that idea , the neighbor`s give you the strangest looks while rolling line up on the hose reel 
  They think you were out in the sun too long.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

milne

Hi Guys,
          Well I made up a " Col special " line holder to remove all the line,
        And I have to say, the line wasn't turned around at all and is in a good a condition on the outer as it was down near the spool.
     The spool was in superb condition, which I was extremely happy about.
   What was noticeable once the line was removed, was that the reel seat has surface pitting and even some green stuff which would have
    been obscured by the line, SO  unfortunately, it just had to go in for a vinegar soak !!!  didn't want to have to, but it must be done.

milne

The insides of the reel, doesn't show much use at all.
Which is interesting as to the condition of the reel seat. With the reel, in a bag, came the other bits and bolts with it and they were also
in a pretty bad state. Seems strange that everything else about the reel shows minimal use, but everything from the reel seat down does.
What was interesting, was the markings on the end of the spool and on the internal wear. I make it out to maybe be a no 7  ?
It's done in pencil, which to me may have been done from day dot and indicate very little use.  ?
In every ones opinion, would I be better, just leaving it as it is ?  putting it back together after the reel seat is cleaned up ?
On my previous reels, I've completely stripped them down, scrubbed them up, greased etc, but I feel I should leave well alone....
?
Col

milne

And, just to take up more space !
along with the reel, came this old reel bag, I think its some type of leather.
The reel seems like a perfect fit and I would suggest this is where it's spent most of it's years in.
It's still in really good condition and it has this,  (might sound strange) beautiful smell to it ...

Col

oc1

The sevens are makers marks.  They sometimes had to hand file/fit components and the number tells them which parts go together.
-steve

milne

Hi Steve,
          Hey, I was thinking of your comments, re sometimes line was reversed, when I was taking it off, but it really was in superb condition.

I was sort of thinking those marks could have been from the beginning. There definitely pencil markings, as the one on the spool
     rubbed off easily with finger pressure ( only did a small portion at the bottom).  So I'm picking they would have rubbed off easily with plenty
     of use.   Thanks for that.
    Now, just leave it as is and re assemble ?

Col