A proper uni knot?

Started by Reel Beaker, February 10, 2019, 11:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

So, i have been trying to tie the uni knot for heavier mono and adding more wraps at the same time.

I have been wondering for some time now, but does a proper uni knot look like?

Anyone want to tie a proper uni knot with heavy mono and show their knot here?

Add different views of course(closed-up) so that we can examine the knot more in detail.

akfish

With heavier mono you should use fewer wraps.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Reel Beaker

Quote from: akfish on February 10, 2019, 11:42:53 AM
With heavier mono you should use fewer wraps.

i have been tying 40-6o pound line recently and using 5 wraps. I been trying 6 wraps recently as i read some fisherman tying 80 pounds with 6 wraps.

Gfish

Akfish is, I believe based on my experience, correct. For me 3.5 - 6 turns for 50 lb. mono. or less, for 60 lb. and above 3 - 3.5 is enough. I'm tryin not to crease or crimp the line.
A Uni however, will not tighten up at the 60 lb., 3.5 turn level. But, the clinch knot will.
I always use the clinch, along with an "anti-slip" granny in the tag end. Also with 40 lb. and below I use 2 turns around the ring, which makes it harder to tighten, but not impossible.
Pic. 1, a uni with 60 lb., 3.5 twists. Pic. 2, a clinch, 60 lb.- 3.5 turns. Pic. 3 same knot as pic. 1, better angle.

I only use the uni for line to line connections, for the "wrap over both lines" effect.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

I use this knot for nearly everything, terminal tackle and even joining two bits of mono together.   Usually only 3 wraps.   Occasionally 2 and 3 when joining say 80 lb to 40 lb with 2 wraps on the 80 lb.

Tightening the knot when joining two lines can be tricky.
Cornelis

alantani

Might I recommend a single San Diego?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Yes! For heavy mono or fluoro, my go to knot is the San Diego. I sometimes use the uni for light lines, and I think an uni-uni knot is ok for splicing non-hollow spectra.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Jeri

Use the Uni-knot for just about everything I can. Braid to braid casting leaders (8 turns), 50-60lb (0.7-0.8mm) nylon to swivels for traces (4-5 turns), use it to snell hooks rather than traditional snelling knots - find it more reliable (4-5 turns).

Have used it on much thicker nylon when tying traces for fish with harder mouths - up to 100lb (1.1mm), just dip the end to be tied ina  cup of warm water - tie the Uni-knot - 3-4 turns, and let it cool - rock solid.

Hope that helps.
Cheers from sunny Africa

Reel Beaker

These are pics of my 5-turn uni-knot.

Does it look like a uni?

https://imgur.com/kSpAmeh

https://imgur.com/ijIJs3s

https://imgur.com/jwdoZJA

Anybody getting a small box where the pics are suppose to show?

Newell Nut

Keta

Quote from: alantani on February 11, 2019, 02:44:16 AM
Might I recommend a single San Diego?

I use uni knots for light line but for 40# and up the SD is my go to knot.  I'm a knot head and know a lot of knots too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

droppedit

Quote from: Reel Beaker on February 11, 2019, 03:06:19 PM

Does it look like a uni?

That's the way mine always turn out. I was looking at the ones gfish tied and was wondering if I was tying something different than a uni. I always do a uni to uni when I tie mono leader to braid. Sort of like the way the braid part of the uni goes thru the guides on a cast, like a bit of a cushion. I know there are many knots and some are a lot better, but for me this has worked.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Reel Beaker

Quote from: droppedit on February 11, 2019, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: Reel Beaker on February 11, 2019, 03:06:19 PM

Does it look like a uni?

That's the way mine always turn out. I was looking at the ones gfish tied and was wondering if I was tying something different than a uni. I always do a uni to uni when I tie mono leader to braid. Sort of like the way the braid part of the uni goes thru the guides on a cast, like a bit of a cushion. I know there are many knots and some are a lot better, but for me this has worked.

Dave

so reassuring to know that others tying uni knots are getting the same knots as me.

I was wonder if this is the right way the knot should be forming.

mike1010

Another vote for the SD, which I use for all terminal tackle.  I find it forms up better than a clinch or uni.  Of course that may be because I get more practice with it.

boon

In a hurry I just tie a 4 turn uni in heavy mono.
Less hurry, AG Chain knot.
Sitting at home, crimp. Unless it's on a heavy jig setup, then AG chain.