Gift

Started by Bryan Young, February 11, 2019, 12:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

My neighbor just dropped by to drop off a couple of garden waste bins and left me another gift. A New in box Quick 220 N that was sold at Long's Drugs. I don't ever recall Long's selling quality fishing equipment.

Thank you Neighbor!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Christopher M Songer

Wow, Nice neighbor!
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

Nice reel, Bryan!

Yes, Longs (now CVS) was a major retailer of fishing gear in the 60's/80's.

DQ, Mitchell, Shakes, Daiwa, Ryobi, Shimano, Roddy, Zebco, ABU.

Same with Thrifty (now Rite Aid), and Payless.

Few folks may remember or know — that Kmart was the largest retailer of fishing equipment in the world in the 70's and 80's.

The times have shifted — now it is Amazon, Wal-Mart, and major online sporting goods retailers.

I just ordered a couple of ultralight Eagle Claw fiberglass rods from Wal-Mart.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jim Fujitani

When Longs was still operated by the Longs brothers and their family, it was up to the individual store managers as to what each store stocked (ordered from the main catalogs). 

In the mid 70's, the Asst. Store Manager for the Eureka store was a sportsman.  He knew what would sell, and helped order the stock accordingly.  I had a room mate (who shall remain nameless, as well as the Asst Mgr) who worked at the store, and he could special order items.    Fenwick rods, Wright-McGill rods, Eagle Claw rods, Ambassadeur reels, Mitchell Garcia reels, DAM Quick reels, Pflueger Reels could be special ordered and purchased by employees for store cost + 10%.  The markup on otherwise slow-moving sporting goods was unbelievable.  But the store didn't do large special orders, not wanting to openly compete with tackle shops and sporting goods stores.  I believe we even found a way to order Hardy fly reels. 

swill88

KMart had a great collection of fishing gear in the '60's.  Just like Fred said!
Steve

steelfish

great gift Bryan, what do you plan to do with it?
save it inside the box on a shelf?
put it on a shelf outside the box?

Quote from: foakes on February 11, 2019, 01:29:16 AM
Best,  Fred

do you use those UL eagle claw rods for trout?

I have a fly 5wt eagle claw black-eagle 8.6ft with just the tip broken, the rest of the rod is like new, I dont have plans to learn to fly fishing on saltwater but I do have plans to take the guides out and add a longer section on the rear grip to make it a UL spinning rod, I think it will work great with a shimano 2500 or abu cardinal S20 and UL lures, but I dont know it the rod would be too light for triggers  ;D

The Baja Guy

foakes

Yes, Alex —

I use them for trout when backpacking, day hikes, or in the boat rigged with a Panther Martin, Roostertail, or Mepps Aglia.

Also a fly and bubble work well in the late afternoon.

For me, it is hard to beat a decent fiberglass UL rod paired with a Ultralite reel such as a DQ 265 Microlite, DQ 1000, Cardinal 3, Penn 716, Mitchell 408, Daiwa Mini-Mite or 500C — spooled with 4#.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TJAndrews

Quote from: foakes on February 11, 2019, 01:29:16 AM
Nice reel, Bryan!

Yes, Longs (now CVS) was a major retailer of fishing gear in the 60's/80's.

DQ, Mitchell, Shakes, Daiwa, Ryobi, Shimano, Roddy, Zebco, ABU.

Same with Thrifty (now Rite Aid), and Payless.

Few folks may remember or know — that Kmart was the largest retailer of fishing equipment in the world in the 70's and 80's.

The times have shifted — now it is Amazon, Wal-Mart, and major online sporting goods retailers.

Best,

Fred

My original 331 came from a Cooks Discount Department Store in the mid-70's. It was on a markdown, closeout display, priced at $5 to sell before Christmas. (Mom grabbed it to give to me.) Cooks was later swallowed up by Hills, which in turn was swallowed up by Ames. According to Wikipedia, Ames went out of business in 2002.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on February 12, 2019, 01:33:18 AM

Yes, Alex —

I use them for trout when backpacking, day hikes, or in the boat rigged with a Panther Martin, Roostertail, or Mepps Aglia.

Best,

Fred

I use those Eagle Claw rods too guys. They are inexpensive and perform great. We use the really soft yellow glass rods for trout/crappie trolling. Hookups are tripled with the right rod. I put a Quick Microlite on a Diamond series graphite for plastic worm fishing...it's fantastic too. I sold my brother a Black Eagle rod/reel combo and he always packs it along when we fish panfish for bait.

Hee hee, I went off on a rant, I'm back. That's a sweet Quick Bryan! Boxed and all...congrats on the gift! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~