Shimano JDM search

Started by Keta, October 20, 2018, 02:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I love my Ocea Jigger 2001 and Ocea Calcutta and would like to get a JDM reel similar to the TN40N but can not find anything close.  Can anyone help here?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

The Ocea Jigger 4000p is the equivalent of the Trn 40n. They're as hard to find, and expensive, as the 40n.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Yup, I saw a used TN40N for $500.  To make things worse I need a left hand one.  Thanks for the reel # Mark.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Quote from: Keta on October 20, 2018, 03:53:05 PM
Yup, I saw a used TN40N for $500.  To make things worse I need a left hand one.  Thanks for the reel # Mark.

Didn't see this post until this morning. Can't help with the left-hand thing, but, if you can live with a right-hand reel, here's an interesting alternative:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OKUMA-Catalina-CT-55N-works-great/123547859728?hash=item1cc406bb10:g:X7sAAOSwVRBcFniJ:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!92008!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

The reel's line ratings (read from my CT-55N) are 25/470, 30/360, and 40/310.

If you decide to get a CT-55N, the drag washers will need to be checked for non-CF and replaced. Mine had to have all the washers replaced.

The pinion and main gear from the CT-55C are a direct swap if you want to drop from 6.2:1 down to 4.0:1; can order from Okuma for about $23-25(?). I did this to my reel.

boon

The 2001 is the largest of that style that they make in a left-handed configuration.

The Maxel Transformer or Rage reels are probably the closest thing you're going to get in that sort of configuration (tall, narrow, refined, LOTS of drag), assuming that's what you're looking for. Lever drag, not star, though.

alantani

your next best bet might be a left handed avet hxj.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Do you want to trade a lightly used Apple cel phone for a HX?

Mark Twain

alantani

thanks for shipping it back.  it's going to be weird being "off the grid" for a few days. 

note to everyone else:  after lee dropped me off at the airport last night, i realized that left my cell phone in his truck.  i won't be able to answer calls or text messages for a few days. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

It's like a heart transplant you can't do without it.

Mike