Previous topic - Next topic

No drag on Bantam CU-201

Greg M. Ray
2 (100%)
gregmray
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

GORDASKIPPER

Have no idea why I can't attain or don't have any drag...replacement of all bearings, drive and pinion gear, drag washer it's left handed a tad different for me...also AR bearing BNT 1207 replaced...SO what the hell happened these reels are generally so easy hopefully easy fix?

akfish

Are you fishing braid? Is it slipping on the spool? It probably is if you didn't use tape, mono backing, or very interesting knot to hold it tight to the spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

GORDASKIPPER

Unfortunately no line on reel and not the case...I just got parts today and was performing my rebuild...I don't even know how drag works is my first problem for starters?

sdlehr

Well, if you don't know how the drag works there's a good chance it's not reassembled properly. What reel are we speaking of? Can you post pics?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

OK, found the reel hidden in your poll - we don't really use polls very often. I edited your title to make it more helpful. Pics of your main gear and drag (as assembled) might be helpful.

I looked at the schematic HERE (also attached) - it's a pretty typical star drag design - yours has two drag washers, one under the gear. There is one keyed metal drag washer on top. Without pictures, I'm stuck here.
Sid Lehr

MarkT

Did you put the roller clutch tube (2926) in upside down?  it has to engage the key washer (3329).
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I was thinking that too but I think the drag would work and the AR not.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

If the tube is upside down it will still engage with the AR but not the drag.  The end with the 2 tabs goes into the slot in the key washer.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sdlehr

Quote from: MarkT on February 12, 2019, 05:27:40 PM
If the tube is upside down it will still engage with the AR but not the drag.  The end with the 2 tabs goes into the slot in the key washer.
I get that now, at first I was thinking the same as Lee. That could definitely do it. You need the drag and the AR working together, otherwise everything will just spin freely.
Sid Lehr

Keta

If the tube is upside down it will still engage with the AR but not the drag.  The end with the 2 tabs goes into the slot in the key washer.

I think the drag stack and gear will turn independently of the tube if the tabs are not engaged in the slots on the top drag washer and the tube will still compress the drag stack giving some drag.   

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on February 13, 2019, 01:58:18 PM

I think the drag stack and gear will turn independently of the tube if the tabs are not engaged in the slots on the top drag washer and the tube will still compress the drag stack giving some drag.   
This crossed my mind last night and I can't argue with it today.
Sid Lehr

Keta

I could be wrong, if I get the snow moved I'll go to my shop and put a Curado 201 together wrong and see.

Mark Twain

GORDASKIPPER

thank you gentleman...I have assemble many Currado's I think the sleeve you referring to (roller clutch inter tube) may not be through the new crank bearing far enough to put pressure on drag plate? About how far does the sleeve extend past that bearing mine is barely out? I have other Currado reels to look to get an idea just been swamped on install unfortunately...tabs are in slots bearing is in correctly...it appears to me star drag nut has to put pressure on roller clutch inter tube that's my concern tube is not out far enough? 

oc1

How can the star hit the roller bearing?  The sleeve is too short?  The roller bearing is not seated correctly?  The new roller bearing is too long?  The drag stack is missing something and is too short?  The three washers (two slotted, one round) missing from top of the sleeve? A washer that is too wide on top of the sleeve?

Don't know.
http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/shimano/Shimano_CU201.pdf
-steve

GORDASKIPPER

The roller bearing is not seated correctly? It appears you may have found the issue... I'll remove new bearing and see if old one allows inter tube to more exposure will take some pictures and post...