Restoring DAM Quick 84

Started by Reelmeneer, February 12, 2019, 05:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reelmeneer

Started to take the DQ84 apart yesterday evening. Parts cleaned and they all look good. The body although does not... I will repaint it but first need to now what is the best way to remove the old paint. Plastic cover looks great and does not need any attention. I have the possibility to sandblast the metal parts, is that a good thing to do, or is there a better way to remove the old paint?

After that.... powder-coat or just spray-can?

Looking forward to your replies,

Kind regards,

Ed

Ps. Tries to post pics but they are only on my ipad and not online....so I think it is not possible to post them yet.

foakes

If you will send me your photos, Ed —

I will post them for you, until you learn how.

In the meantime, we can all see your pics — and offer suggestions that may point you in the proper direction.

The initial obstacle to overcome on these DQ 84's and similar — is the fact that some of the main casing parts are plastic — so depending on which parts you intend to paint — powder coating may not work so well, if plastic.

These reels are two-tone — so depending on the amount of paint missing — you may be OK.

The second issue is that the paint is not a "wrinkle paint" — it is a glossy enamel such as on a Cardinal or Mitchell — not rough.

If blasting it — you might want to use Soda instead of sand, or other more aggressive media's.

Then a sanding to smooth, light primer coat, then the finish coat.

This is of course, if you want to keep it original.

If wanting to try something different — then a wrinkle coat of the color (colors) you choose — would hide any issues or imperfections.

Also, the badge on the side is not removable — so care must be taken to mask it off.

And none of the plastic pieces, of course, can go in the oven.

Once we get some photos — there are other more expert painters on here than me — and you will get a few opinions.

I am over at Pacific Grove for a few days with Sue — to celebrate Valentines Day — and just relax and hang out with some rain, a fire in the fireplace, and good Coastal seafood dinners.

But I will be able to post pics if you send them directly to my private email.

I will PM you my email address right now.

The bail nut and lock washer were mailed out a few days ago from the US to The Netherlands.  Please let me know when you receive it.  There is no tracking on mail after it goes out of the borders of the US.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reelmeneer

Received the nut Fred! Thanks for that.

Plastic part from the DQ does not need attention. Looks fine. Delivered the parts to the 'blaster' today. Could take some while. Will sent pics when there is any news. Looking forward to restore te DQ in original colors.

Regards,

Ed

Reelmeneer

Parts returned from the blaster today! Hope Fred will add the photo's and the guys on this forum will add their comments!

Regards,

Ed

foakes

Here we go, Ed —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Looking good!

If you opt for regular aerosol paint I would suggest using a filler primer to help fill any voids prior to sanding. If you are going to try to stay close to original colors you may want to look into epoxy appliance paints. They have a few different colors now and are awesome because the surface gets fairly hard. Also, a non-lacquer (because of possible adverse reactions, wrinkling, to the paint) clear coat is a great addition. The clear coat really helps protect the paint surface, just like with cars, is very easy to add and dries quick.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reelmeneer

Body has got a new paint, not the original color...it's 'dutch green' (seems black on the photo) but hey :) first project. Cleaned the sideplate, now looking for a color matching the original rotor..

Is there a way to get the color back on the spool? It looks a bit greyish now instead of black..

Regards,

Ed

nagant

Like what you've done with it!  I scrubbed my 440 spool with dawn dish detergent and a tooth brush 3 times to get the oxidation off.  Would like to see how others tackle that too.
Brice

foakes

Beautiful job, Ed —

After struggling with how to restore the plastic spools on spinners and Bakelite sideplates on conventionals, for years — I decided to take a different approach instead of buying every new product that comes out with claims of glory...

So I tried to figure out the toughest plastics to restore , that get the most use, and hold up for years — and settled on the old original Bakelite telephones that many of us grew up with.  

Then, I researched niche companies and hobbyists that either do this for a living — or a very serious hobby.

These guys were restoring old phones from the 40's through the 70's — to museum quality grade...

So I contacted them to see what their secret was —

It was this product & elbow grease —

https://www.novuspolish.com/

Novus plastic and Bakelite restoration.

It is at Amazon, it is cheap, and the most effective I have found.  Cleans, removes tiny scratches, polishes, restores, brings the original color back.

Almost anything works for awhile — and I have used many of them — Black Magic, Penetrol, etc, etc..

But this is the stuff the professionals use — and buy by the gallon.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reelmeneer

Ive have seen a lot on this site of dawn dish etc... but could not get a good translation in dutch... please help?

foakes

Here it is —

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

nagant

Beat me Fred,any soap for (vaatwasmiddel) should work.. but Fred's info will clean and polish plus protect .
Brice

Reelmeneer

Thanks guys!! That makes life easy!

Regards,

Ed

foakes

Dawn HD dish soap is a good, but gentle to any type of material cleaner — particularly for greased up parts that would be ruined by solvent-type solutions.

It is one of the top cleaners in my book when doing a restore that needs to be right.

However, it will not restore plastics back to their original color and shine — that is what the NOVUS is for — after the reel is cleaned with Dawn Dish Soap and hot water.

Just drop the parts into a small container of hot water and a teaspoon of Dawn — let it work for a day or two — rinse, then reassemble or polish the exterior parts.

It is very effective, and will not hurt paint, plastics, Bakelite, or graphite.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reelmeneer

Repainted the "rotor" already placed some parts...

This one seems not ok? Is it forced?

Maybe somebody has got the exploded view of this spinning reel?

Regards,

Ed