Restoring DAM Quick 84

Started by Reelmeneer, February 12, 2019, 05:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

It appears to have been bent at some point but fixing that is standard procedure when servicing used, especially older, spinning reels. It is part of adjusting how the bail, roller and their angles line up when installing the bail. That type of bail arm can be tweaked (bent) fairly easily to line up perfectly. Sometimes the bail needs to be adjusted (rebent), too, for perfect alignment. There are numerous discussions in various spinning reel threads and tutorials explaining that process.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reelmeneer

Thank you Tom,

I will search the forum forum for an solution.

Regards,

Ed

festus

I've had to deal with tweaking the bail arm and bail wire a few times.  Kind of scary at first, trial and error, gets frustrating.  When I first joined this board I didn't even know how to change bail springs.   

foakes

Looked yesterday — did not have that schematic series, Ed —

But will look in some other places.

These are not complicated reels.

You should have no issues with reassembly.

I do have some similar reels — and could help you that way.

Just start with the spool — build that out.

Then assemble the rotor and bail unit.

Then do the A/R, gears, main frame.

Attach the rotor.

Slide in the spool shaft — connect it to the gearing.

Check operation — then attach the side plate & crank handle.

Snap on the spool — check for no rubbing and proper operation.

Done...

Not too much to these Quicks — if one doesn't look at the whole pile of parts at once.

Just build out the 4 main units of the reel — then put them together.

Most spinning reels can be reassembled and approached in this manner.

Lots of folks think spinners are complicated — they're not — just different.

And when you become familiar with the parts, how they interact, and a simple system for reassembly — any reel becomes fairly simple.

Not too many exceptions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reelmeneer

Oh my...

tried to replace te bail arm etc this afternoon. After an hour trying to get the bail spring back and functioning I gave up.

Almost thrown the thing in the bin.

Please can someone post pics or something on how to get the bail spring etc in place and functioning?

This thing is driving me crazy!!

Grtz Ed

Midway Tommy

I haven't fondled my DQ 85 for about 10 years so I don't remember if it has 1 or 2 bail springs, but if it has 2 follow these instructions as it will be a similar process. If it has 1 you only need to do the bail arm portion and then connect the roller & bail to the arm. It's not difficult, you will figure it out with a little guidance.

To assemble and install the bail onto the rotor thread the bail plate all the way onto the bail and then back it off 1/2 to one full turn so that it lays parallel with the bail. The bail springs are wound opposite and the photo shows them relative to their correct side. They must be installed on the correct side or they will be bent, sprung and difficult, if not impossible, to re-bend or adjust. The bail stopper on the Cardinal 3 installs after you install the spring and bail arm on the roller guide side. Next install the spring and bail plate/bail on the opposite side. Once installed rotate the bail in the appropriate direction to get tension on the spring and turn the bail 90 degrees. Have the line roller, teflon bushing, protecting washer and bail nut ready for installation. Check the bail to make sure it lines up perfectly with the hole in the bail arm. Bend or adjust it if needed so that there is no pressure sideways or up and down. Once the bail is adjusted properly lube and install the teflon bushing, roller guide and protecting washer. I use ArmourAll. Check to see that the bail will snap back with authority and if not adjust the springs or bail alignment accordingly.

There are some more tips under Spinning Reel Tutorials - Zebco in the Cardinal 4 and Cardinal 6 & 7 tutorials.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reelmeneer

Almost done... just a little grease and side cover to be placed. Tried the to place the bail and spring today but did not work. Wife got crazy ☺️, so did I. When I put tension on the bail, for some reason it flips and tension is gone...

Regards,

ed

foakes

These are very simple bails to install, Ed —

So there could be something wrong with the spring (bent spring leg that goes into the bail exterior support arm).

Or it could have to do with the plastic bail release mechanism.

I assume that you are just dropping the spring in place — attaching the bail support arm by itself — without the bail wire attached — then attaching the bail wire?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reelmeneer

I think That's what I do Fred, spring does fit only one way. When it is fit I put the bail part with the screw together (only one way possible) and turn it anti-clock wise to get tension on it. Then I fit the bail arm. After that, when I 'open' the bail, for some reason the spring gets loose and nothing goes as expected...

Driving me crazy... should stay with abu reels... 😕

Springs and me.... not a good combo 😌

festus

Quote from: Reelmeneer on March 14, 2019, 03:56:26 PM
I think That's what I do Fred, spring does fit only one way. When it is fit I put the bail part with the screw together (only one way possible) and turn it anti-clock wise to get tension on it. Then I fit the bail arm. After that, when I 'open' the bail, for some reason the spring gets loose and nothing goes as expected...

Driving me crazy... should stay with abu reels... 😕

Springs and me.... not a good combo 😌
I've never worked on an 84, but the bail spring on my Quicks needs turned clockwise to get tension.  It sure drove me crazy the first couple of bail springs I worked on also.  Is it possible you're installing the bail arm backwards? Probably not. 

foakes

No tension should be applied to the spring on these until the bail support arm is in place — and the screw attached solidly.

Then it gets rotated clockwise to install the bail wire.

If your spring is distorted from installing it wrong — you may need a new one.

I can help with that if necessary — at no charge.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.