Perch Derby

Started by mikeysm, February 12, 2019, 11:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alans Buddy

Hello Bryan,

I don't have all the details to post a full report.
The big fish was 1.6 lbs, about 13 inches.

Ben

mikeysm

It was a perfect day to be on the beach. T shirt weather and sunshine all day. I got skunked but the rest made up for it.

Mike

Dominick

Quote from: mikeysm on March 25, 2019, 07:10:56 PM
It was a perfect day to be on the beach. T shirt weather and sunshine all day. I got skunked be the rest made up for it.

Mike

Yep the weather was perfect.  Mike brought some cured meats which he generously gave out.  I will post some pictures when I set it up and serve.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alans Buddy

AMAZING cured meats!
Should open a shop Mike.
Thanks for your generosity!

Ben

mikeysm

Thanks but to many regulations prevent someone from making money. I keep it low key and that's the way I like it. That's why food is so expensive. They over tax over regulate everything in California.

Mike

Fishy247

Thanks again for the meats Mike! I had some of the liguica last night and it was FANTASTIC! I might have to hide the rest from everyone else in the house....

On to the fishing...Kinda a tough day, really. On Saturday, the swell was darn near perfect, at 4'-6' every 11 seconds. Sunday, however, was a different story. Overnight, it jacked up to 8'-10' every 12 seconds. The beach itself was very nicely carved up, with lots of holes and rips that looked extremely fishy to me. There was a new one about every 200-300 yards. It was low tide when we started, which let us get a real good idea of where the holes were. There were sand crab beds at the mouth of pretty much every rip that I saw. Good signs!  As the tide came in, people started getting a few bites and landing a few fish. I got mine just after the tide started changing. By and large, though, it didn't seem like much was happening. I walked the beach to about a half mile north and saw or heard of 3-4 fish being caught(including the derby winner!) I worked back down the beach almost a mile past where everyone was at for another 2 fish. Nothing huge, but definitely keepers. I ended up with 4 caught, 1 released.

Francis beach in HMB is a VERY fishy-looking beach. I think that the sudden change in the swell made it more difficult to fish and maybe put them off the bite a bit. But if you are in the area and are looking to do some beach fishing, I highly recommend it!

The derby itself was a blast! Very friendly people putting it on and participating. Working my way up and down the beach, I talked to almost every person that I passed! For those of you that don't do much beach fishing, that's pretty uncommon unless you fish there or know the people you see. Great time and I can't wait to do it again!

Mike

JoseCuervo

I spent a bit to stay dry. These got good reviews on Amazon (4.5 out of 5). I need to just use them more!

COMPASS 360 Deadfall Breathable Fishing Chest Wader

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SJXQY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Duck and Fish Men's Sticky Rubber Sole Wading Shoe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ9YJB6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1