What are Penn No. 49 best used for?

Started by Christopher M Songer, February 16, 2019, 10:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

As I look at spending a lot of time in Vancouver and searching for used gear I came across a Penn No. 49 for a good price and decent shape. What are the most common uses for these reels?
Always go forward, never go straight

akfish

Lots of people -- especially old timers -- use them for salmon trolling. Some people use them for bottom fishing but that's pushing a reel rated for about 30# line. That have a fast retrieve -- just 3.5:1 but a very large spool -- and reasonably good drag -- three drag washers about the same size as a 114H Senator. A problem many have is with mono compaction on the spool and hence warped spools. If you reel has an old style spool (steel or chromed brass) instead of a modern anodized aluminum spool, you need to watch for this problem. Parts are getting hard to find.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Christopher M Songer

Thanks for the info, exactly what I am looking for. Also found a Squall 50LW and a Penn 3/0 Special Senator 112H for good $. At home I have a Penn 320 Gti that might fit the bill once I match a rod to it. Willing to get the right gear for the circumstances, just need to be educated. I want to buy the reels but don't what something that is not a good fit. I have enough tackle at home sitting on the shelf as it is.
Always go forward, never go straight

alantani

Quote from: akfish on February 17, 2019, 12:06:43 AM
Lots of people -- especially old timers --

who are you calling an old timer.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!