Tiagra 50 W LRS ????

Started by Nessie Hunter, September 20, 2011, 10:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

I just had a Tiagra 50 W LRS returned due to freespool issue...

What I found was loose screws (all 4 loose) on the Alert plate (Left side Clicker plate)...
One was far enough out it was hitting Bottom of gear???? 

Let me get a pic up asap.....

Now my question is. 
(I of course had Greased these screws on original service.) 

**Do you think the grease was the problem or just not tight enough on assembly**??

I will Loctite them if needed....?

Any one with experience on this type of issue? 
Or had this problem before??
Would like to get this figured out to avoid it in the future!!!!

Holding off re-assembly till Im sure what the problem is....

Quick FYI:
this reel was just serviced a couple of months ago, played with some Im sure, then taken to Cabo and this happened on first bait thrown out.. 
Not much use at all for a screw to back all the way out like that IMO???? 
Im leaning toward MY error????  (be gentle on me). LOL

Thanks all....  :D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

JGB

I have noticed a tendency for screws to be under tight when serviced. The screws need to be firmly tightened unless the piece is plastic (in this case they are lock tighted). If they were tight they will stay in place. I have seen where if too much grease is in the hole the screw will not seat but will feel tight. After some time the grease will leak past the treads and the screw will be loose. Second possibility - The plate may have been rotated slightly and the screws tight then the plate shifted to center and now the screws are loose.

Can you do a pic of the actual reel alert plate?  The pic is from the tutorial and does not help us see what is happening.

FYI - torque screws based on size and thread pitch. Larger screws more torque finer threads less torque but still firm (you don't want to strip them). When screwing down plates and such where the screws do the centering treat them like you tighten lug nuts on your car - all lightly snug then tighten using a criss cross pattern followed by final torquing.

My 2 cents worth,
Jim N.

kamuwela

ive found a number of them coming loose. from the factory they are locktited in. most of us use grease with a real good fitting screw driver  tighten them all down then back off then retighten. another option is try corrosion x on those screw's.

Nessie Hunter

Here is the actual reel pics. Just used the other one to save a minute.  Looks the same so??

Fiirst pic is of the bottom of Gear drive shaft..  
Notice it has been hitting the screw.  No vis marks on screw.

It is tight as I can get it now...
Seems to want to stay tight, hard to get it loose again. 
Screw heads are tapered, plate is countersunk, not likely 'that if tight' there would be any plate movement??
I dont think it would have come as loose in that short of a time & use, unless they were loose to start with...  
The more I ponder this, the more I think it was my error?????
Had nightmares last night of being chased by loose screws and lost trophy fish!! LMAO
And being killed by the reel owner!!!   Yikes!!!   lol

I always tighten screws by hand and double/triple check them... OCD ????
I had to have been side tracked and not checked these????
At least I hope thats what it was!!!

My main concern is that other Reels/Tiagra's will have the same issue, These reels are in Cabo, and stay there for season ++ at a time for customer/guest use!!!!!!  
The Owner travels back & forth and just happened to catch this 2 weeks ago and brought it back with him....
I will need to check the others if its a known or common problem.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

JGB

Thanks for the pics.

Looks OK to me. To date I have never seen a loose alert plate that was made of metal. I have seen the screws come completely off on a couple of Tiburon SST30. The Alert is plastic and I think the screws were not tightened properly in the first place.

Jim N.

Nessie Hunter

Well, I think I will button this reel back up and ship it to owner with my sincerest apologies!!!

Sorry bro, looks like its my fault...    :-\
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

Quote from: JGB on September 21, 2011, 06:05:34 PM
.... and I think the screws were not tightened properly in the first place.

been there, done that....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Well I dont feel quite so bad now, Thanks Alan...  lol

Had a "Reel in a bag" yesterday (Spinning reel Sahara) in a batch from new customer... 
He asked for a Hail Mary on it........

Roller bearing was taken apart and in 40 pieces?, (Tiny springs bent & broken)..
the entire Bail system was apart also, along with every other part & gears Etc....

Roller is TOAST!!!!    On order from Shimano...

Had to tear down one of my Sahara reels to see how that dang Bail spring and little rods & springs were set up..  Bail arm was bent??   
All back and working darn good now (except for Anti-reverse Bearing which is on the way)...
Some redemption to the above incident...

Spent about 4 1/2 hrs on it, but feels good to figure out a puzzle like that.....
And bring back the dead......
@ $25,  thats about $5.50 an hr..  Think I might buy a New Mercedes!!!!!!!!!!!   LMAO...

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

4 1/2 hours....$25 :o, satisfaction....priceless ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

no one's going to get rich fixing fishing reels, that's for sure.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

Quote from: alantani on September 24, 2011, 05:40:35 AM

remember that quote gang. that was the first thing alan told me and we all know it's true.

Alto Mare

I didn't know it, but quickly found out. Still have passion though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: alantani on September 24, 2011, 05:40:35 AM

Isnt that the truth!!!!!!!!!!

I do it cuz I like to... Surely not for the money..   
I couldnt pay for my materials if I didnt charge a few $$ though...
(tried that with my Fishing club ~ no Bueno) had to start charging a little..
Just factor in the driving back & forth to Post Office & UPS store.
Not to mention all the tools (Thanks Aaron, "O" & Alan!!) Oils, greases etc etc...

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!