having your reels fixed here ......

Started by alantani, March 17, 2009, 06:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

for the last few years, i've been fixing reels at a clip of about 100 a month.  i get quite a variety.  it's fun because i learn something from every reel that i crack open.  after getting grease on the dining room table, my wife banished me to the garage.  the set up is definitely not fancy, but it works for me. 

the way it works is like this....  star drag reels are $15-30 to service and take 15 minutes to a half hour.

lever drag reels are $40-60 and take 40 minutes to an hour. 

then add the cost of parts and return shipping.  the service charge is higher if the reel is badly corroded or requires some special work but will not exceed the ranges above unless i call you first.  most are very straight forward, but it's not uncommon to have to take a two speed lever drag reel apart 4-5 times to dial it in just perfectly.  snapping the head off of a corroded side plate screw can take another half hour to drill out and retap.  i'm sure that anyone that has worked on a badly corroded reel can relate. 

basic spinning reels are a little different.  penn spinners are no problem.  the newer high priced shimano and daiwa reels are a nightmare.  they can take several hours to go through properly, so i do not accept them for service unless it's a simple drag upgrade only.  for top drag spinners, it takes 3 seconds to pop out the old drag washers, match them up with carbon fiber washers that i have in stock, then reinstall the new greased washers.  service for a basic spinner is $15-30.  a simple drag upgrade is done for just the cost of the drag washers. 

to get a reel out to me, first please send me a pm or e-mail to make sure it is a reel that i can work on.  for shipping, i recommend a priority mail.  a single reel can be shipped within california for $5.  for multible reels, get a flat rate box from the us postal service.  the standard box is $10.35 (11x8.5x5.5)

and the large box is $13.95.  (12x12x5.5)

insurance is optional. i have a drop box on this end so shipping is pretty secure.  please do not require that the package be signed for.  if i'm not home, i have to drive all the way out the post office to pick it up.  i like shipping via usps rather than ups or fedex.  if you mess with the us mail, you don't go to county court, you go to federal court.  and when you're convicted, you don't go to county jail, you go to federal penn.  it's pretty stupid to mess with the us mail!

my address is 12362 ted court, saratoga, ca 95070 and my cell # is 408-219-1149.  e-mail me first at alantani@yahoo.com or send a pm here.  when you ship the reel, please include your return into and phone #, and a copy of the e-mail or pm conversation that we had.  i will generally call before shipping a reel back, just to make sure i did not forget to address any particular issues.  and most importantly, if you need the reel back by a particular date, please write the "shipped on ....." date and the "please return by ...." date on the OUTSIDE of the box.  the line of boxes right now is half of what you see here, but that can change in an afternoon. 

any reel send it in will get greased carbon fiber drag washers if it does not have them already.  any corroded bearings will be replaced.  remember that bearings cost $8-20 each and some lever drag reels have 6 bearings.  when the reel is shipped back, please go through it, make sure it works and then send me a check in the return envelope that will be send out with the bill.  afterwards, i seriously need you guys to let me know it you ever have problems with the reel.  if there is a problem, i HAVE to know.  drag washers are guaranteed forever.  that's how good the greased carbon fiber drag washers are.  if there are any other problems with the reel even years down the line, it will be fixed for just the cost of parts and return shipping.  you will not be dinged for another service charge. 

oh, and before you ship your reel out, please do not peel off the old fishing line.  i need line on the reel to do the final check on the drag settings.  if you want me to have it spooled up, i can have my local tackle shop do that and add the cost to the bill.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Alan, Reading through some of your posts, I think I have read you suggesting having new reels "serviced" to have them last longer and perform better. Yes? Does this new reel prep lengthen the time between services or possibly eliminate them altogether on a lightly used reel?  How much do you charge for these services?  How backed up are you currently?  I am currently searching for a good price on 4 or 5 Tekota 800's, so I may be interested in having them "prepped", including the handle upgrade, in the very near future.  Thanks. 

i've got about 60 reels in line right now.  most are two speed lever drags that take an hour each.  and i'll be on vacation next week with the kids.
the tekotas take up to a half hour each (depending on their condition), so service is $20-30 per reel,  add $17 for a carbontex drag washer set and $27 for a new handle grip.  there are three bearings that i hope are in good shape, because they are $10-12 each.  add $11 for return shipping and it will add up quick.  i am working on a tekota rebuild tutorial.  it's something you should look at before shipping these reels to me.  you might consider servicing them yourself.  i'll be back from vacation on the 17th.  if you wish to have me look at them, please ship them after that time.  meanwhile, take a look at this.....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=277.0

thanks!  alan

alantani

Alan - I've enjoyed reading your posts about reel maintenance and improvement, and have gotten the impression that you sometimes perform upgrades on other folks' reels. If I'm on target, can you advise me on the approximate cost of having you perform an upgrade (including a new handle, drag components, and whatever else you recommend) on a TLD 25? Thanks. Jim

uggghhhhhh! this is the worst one. so here goes. it's $40 for service, $19 for the drag washer, $37 for a handle with a 4/0 grip or $43 for a handle with a 6/0 grip (recommended), $2 for belleville and pressure plate washers and return shipping of $11. bearings are $12 each and there are 4 of them, so let's hope the bearings are in good shape. here's the post for shipping and service. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=277.0 let me know what you decide to do. alan

Alan - thanks for your quick and thorough reply. I'm headed out of town for a week and will decide during that time what I'm gonna do - will get back to you.  Jim

white s

Hi alan i just joined and would like you to upgrade 2 of my my reels and service 5 more. I would like my accurates ( boss 270 & 870 2 speed models) serviced and the accusleeves installed and also 4 saltigas and one abu garcia revo toro.Please Tell me if u have time for this as my trip is on MAY 28,2011.
Thanks you

alantani

contact jim nomura http://alantani.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2132 he will be able to take care of these easily.  i've gotten a little backed up, more family stuff that fishing stuff.  if that doesn't work out, go ahead and send them out and make sure you write the "return by" date on the outside of the box.  alan

ReelSpeed

I can help on the saltigas and revo if in a time crunch..  ::)

-Aaron
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

gherase

Alan, Hi, just enrolled in this great site. First I have a new Penn Torque 100 and I want you to deflower it first. Then I have this Shimano Trinidad 16
for about 2 years and used it a few times. Still works great, but I want you to go through it.
Second, I leave in bay area close to you in Saratoga, can I drop them in your lap myself and save a few in shipping?

williamthomasrice

How much would it be to upgrade my drag system on a 14/0 Penn Senator to A Carbon Drag System?  After the upgrade how much drag will the 14/0 produce?

alantani

it takes a #6-895 under the main gear ($2.10), seven #6-117's ($30.45) and a set of metal washers ($13.80), plus $20-30 for service, and $20-30 for round trip shipping.  first, check to see if you have carbon fiber drag washers already.  if so, you would need only the $2.10 #6-895 drag washer and some cal's grease to service the reel yourself.  worst case, you can send it here in a zip lock.  interested in cracking it open yourself?  alan

redsetta

Have a go William, you'll never look back.
It's addictive, though!
Next thing you'll be ordering SS gear sleeves and handle upgrades...  ;D
PS You could expect 35-40# of drag pressure, but it'll be smoother and more reliable under load than the stock set up.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Hawk94

Alan, I bought a used SA40.  it runs smooth under low drag but feels jerky (gear to gear grinding) under high drag pressure.  However, if I apply pressure on spool, it is smooth again.   Do I have a bad gear?  Will you service it?

alantani

yes, go ahead and send it out.  if i can't get to it, prehaps bryan or jim can (hope that's ok).  thanks!  alan

tazzman

hi I have 2 avets 402s I would like them looked over top to bottom full service replace whatever needed would also like a little more drag were do I send them

Shark Hunter

tazzman,
Alan is in Mexico on a fishing trip right now. his right hand man. Bryan Young is in Charge until he gets back. Alan's address is displayed earlier in this post. You better make sure its OK to send them first from him or Bryan.
Oh, By the way. Welcome! ;D
Life is Good!

tazzman