Dam/Quick 2002

Started by Alto Mare, February 16, 2019, 10:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

The other day I noticed this 2002 for sale, he had it listed as auction style. Since no one was bidding on it, I decided to put the starting price down and won it.

Nice little reel, since I'm servicing it, I decided to post some pics in case someone might want to take a look.
I will show the breaking down and mention a couple of tools I use, but you use whatever works best for you

I'll start with the spool

It is made from plastic so I'm not sure how good it would hold up, but from looking at the drag washer, I could tell the reel was used quite a bit and it still looks good.
The decal on the spool is the only think that is a little wrinkled, as you'll see the rest of the reel looks really good.

Spool shaft is nice and beefy, but I'm not surprised, most of these reels are over-built

side cover comes off,  2 screws are of the same length and one is shorter and sits on top

a look of inside of the reel

These reels are pretty much made from the same mold, and why not? they seem to last for a very long time
Picked up this tool a while back and it really does a good job on removing or installing the c-clip, with no chance of scratching the part

Here is another useful tool, a mini nail puller, it really does a good job lifting parts

Here is what I do to remove the handle pin to get to the gear
A scap piece of Azek on my press and the pin gets imbedded into it as I apply pressure

I want to mention that whatever you use to push it, make sure it isn't pointy, or the hollow pin would spread out and get jammed.
Also, make sure itis close to the same diameter.

handle had some written on it, since it was worn I decided to remove it completely

rotor comes off next

warm gear and bearing

unlike the previous  models, the bearing came off with very little effort on this one

the housing

Here are all the cleaned parts

I used Naphtha for gears and bearing, everything else soaked in simple green for a couple of minutes.
These parts weren't too bad.
Oh, since I had them, I also replaced the two washers, I did not see a need for a carbon fiber washer upgrade on this one.
And here is the finished reel, it is extrmely smooth now, actually better than the others I have.

A lot of reels for the money.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Good reels, Sal —

Thanks for showing us!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Chuck750ss

Thanks for sharing Sal. I have a 1202. Got it out of the box after I read your post for a quick spin. Unbelievably smooth. Only negative in my book is the plastic spool.
If a frog had wings.... in other words, if DAM had continued down the path of the 01 and 02 series.....and stayed in business.....and we could own these reels, brand new with instant ar....and carbonex drags....and I am dreaming. But you have to admit, it's a good dream to have!

Cubby1973

Good deal Sal! I've been wanting to see one of these taken down. I will have to keep an eye out for these. Have seen a few go not terribly high, but some ridiculously priced!

Thanks
Jeff

oldmanjoe

I like this new feature on the spool :)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

Nice post and ditto on the reel.

Frank

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Yes Jeff, I would recommend you get some of these.
I'm no way an expert, we have Fred and a couple of guys here and I'm sure they would recommend these as well.

It never fails on these reel, after  soaking the bearings in some naphtha and adding a drop of good quality oil, the reels always feel as new again.

I just found a few cork washers in my parts bin, along with the Teflon washers... I think they're Teflon.
I wonder how they would feel in these reels, I'm thinking they would do really well.

Fred, have you used those in these little guys?

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Yes, I have used Teflon, leather, asbestos, and CF.

It all works fine.

These little freshwater reels seldom get long drag runs — and even then, if a Striper, big Cat, large Walleye, Salmon, or Laker takes it — any of these materials work good.

Sometimes we tend to focus too much on drag — technique, experience, and most importantly — a good rod handled properly will win the day.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

I hear you Fred and you make a lot of sense on  techniques.
To me most is about the smoothest drag, especially on the little guys, they're a little more sensitive.
I have tried many types of washers myself, but never on these reels.
Even though I have serviced about 5-6 dozen Dam/Quick within the past 2 years, some for my personal stash and some fom friends, the 2002 model is my very first.

But with that said, it really doesn't matter on what size reel when servicing, they are pretty much the same and extremely easy to work on.

The 275, as you know might give some a hard time, but once you've done a couple it is the same routine as everything else.

Great reels with a great design, I will enjoy using this one this spring, but have a feeling my brother will steal it from me, as he does with the others🙂.

Thank you Fred for always being there...one of the main reason I got started on these.

Sal

Waydown

Sal, you got a winner there. I have the 1202 and a 1400 in these reels. The 1400 was never used, came wrapped in the plastic and never had been taken off....box like new too. What I like about these reels is the anti reverse system, the way it works off the spool shaft. On my 1202 I found a spool that had the larger asbestos drag system in it and it fits perfectly in my aluminum spool for it. These reels were at the end of the era for DAM as I am reading and they had it down pat on how to build them by then. I use the 1400 for bass fishing and it my favorite. When you took yours apart what grease did you use in it? I repacked my with the blue Penn grease. Will have to remember the system you have to take the handle pin out. Thanks for sharing the breakdown.

Donnyboat

Nice work Sal, thanks for taking us along, I really like greased CF drags, nice & smooth, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat