Change Clicker Pawl on Old Penn?

Started by Gfish, February 17, 2019, 12:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

The clicker pawl on my Live Bait Caster is really worn. What's the best thing to do for a repair? The Penn-Mystic-parts site has 'em, but according to the text, they're something( the pawl and button)that needs to be peened together after grinding off the old one. Is it difficult, peening the 2 parts together? Do you gotta use a jig or somethin to hold the plate? Is there an option, like a button with with a C-clip that'll fit this reel?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

If you have a light Ballpeen hammer and something to rest the clicker button on, you can easily peen the new one.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Easy to do, Greg —

Small ball peen hammer — support the exterior of the clicker button with something solid — a chunk of hardwood like oak works fine — lightly peen the softer metal — very quick and easy.

If there is enough interior room — you might be able to install the clicker button that uses a "C" clip.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

I might add careful not to put pressure on the plate or hit it with the hammer.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Greg, while I have not done one, I would countersink a hole in a piece of wood slightly smaller then the clicker knob and use that for a solid base and there will be no pressure on the plate as Joe has warned.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 17, 2019, 01:00:39 AM

Joe

Good advice Joe, that goes for removing the old one as well - after drilling the post, the pawl should come off fairly easily, don't be tempted to punch the post out.  ::)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Reel 224

I'm sorry that happened to you mike, by wrapping the plate with a towel it can protect the Bakelite form shock. The stuff is like glass.

Joe 

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Joe
I drilled a hole in a piece of soft wood to support the button. But the hole was not small enough so when I whacked it the button was driven into the wood and the plate cracked.  It was a 9M that I have had since I was a kid and am still in morning years later.
-steve

Donnyboat

Yes if  you dont have a special clicker button, then the best is the cir/clip model, quick & easy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Quote from: oc1 on February 17, 2019, 08:15:22 AM
Joe
I drilled a hole in a piece of soft wood to support the button. But the hole was not small enough so when I whacked it the button was driven into the wood and the plate cracked.  It was a 9M that I have had since I was a kid and am still in morning years later.
-steve

Steve, do you still have that "9"?

If so, and if you need a plate — I have a lot of these in different colors. 

Let me know — maybe post a pic, or two — and I will either see what I can match up as new — or send you a NOS matching pair.

N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

If someone is not sure of what to do, look at Sal's post for a pictorial description of the right way to remove the old clicker. You can NOT place the plate on a had surface, think of it as if it were a sheet of glass. Second if you do not have the proper drill bits then get them.

Joe

reel man

From the picture I can see the worn clicker pawl, but really how often do you use it? The chance of breaking the side plate are pretty high so you have to ask yourself is it worth fixing?

Gfish

Thanks so much for alla information. Looks I godda do some prep work for the peening and even the removal( just got a hand drill & dermel). You peen with the rounded side of the hammer right?

Just godda try it reel man, part OCD, part want the experience. Did alota modifications to this reel(as you can see by alla extra frame/stand holes) and I don't wanna break the tail-plate, but if I do, I'll hav'ta get a used reel offa the 'bay. She's my 3.3:1 lure trollin baby. Really surprised after all those changes she still spins true. Thing is, I forget about switchin off the clicker button when I get excited and to be honest, I like alerting those within earshot that I hooked up!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!