Newell line capacity for braid

Started by TechTeach, February 18, 2019, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechTeach

Is there a chart or reference for how much braid a Newell will hold?

I have an S338-5 and want to put 40-60 lb braid on it. I know the 338 is said to hold 380 yds of 30 lb mono, but how much braid?

Also who has best prices on Power Pro? Been a long time since I bought braid.

Might be willing to try another brand if there is a good reason.

Thanks guys.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

AJ

There is a line estimator under "Setting Up Your Reel to Go Fishing" on this sight .  It is usually close.

FishNinJay

I've wondered about this..
Many like the Newells for their free spool and casting.
But that's in large part due to spool mass loaded, right?

I'm assuming, but don't know for sure, is a spool loaded with mono lighter and more free-spinning than the same pool loaded with braid? Just wondering if people notice significant differences in casting when casting mono vs braid?

SoCalAngler

FNJ,

The only way to test this is load up any sized Newell with mono and cast it say 10 or more times and measure the distance of each cast. Then strip off that line and load the same reel with braid. Use the same rod, same reel and cast another 10 or so times then measure those braid casts then average the two against each other. Oh yeah make sure the same weight was cast, wind direction and force were the same, then you could figure out what your asking.

IMO there will not be a great advantage either way but I'd like to know what you find out.

jurelometer

Quote from: FishNinJay on August 12, 2019, 10:19:50 PM
I've wondered about this..
Many like the Newells for their free spool and casting.
But that's in large part due to spool mass loaded, right?

I'm assuming, but don't know for sure, is a spool loaded with mono lighter and more free-spinning than the same pool loaded with braid? Just wondering if people notice significant differences in casting when casting mono vs braid?
The actual difference in density of the base materials  of nylon (mono) vs  UHMWPE ( spectra/dynema braid) is not that much,  with nylon about 10-15% denser.  Any weight difference  in the spool probably  comes down to the difference in how densely the lines were packed  and the relative diameters.

You  need to decide what size of each that you want to compare.  If you use the exact same breaking strength,   the much thinner braid has the potential to cast farther, especially if you get up past 40 lb. test.   The spool will probably be packed a bit more densely and hence will  be slightly heavier, but you can address that by not filling it quite so full.  If you compare at the same diameter, braid has a rougher surface ( more air resistance),  but is limper than mono. 

Thin braid can dig in more easily.  You can get more friction pulling the line off the spool during  the cast, especially if you just wound in under load.  So braid distance is more sensitive to how well the spool is packed.

For my fishing, I roughly double the breaking strength when going from mono to braid, and  don't notice much of a change in distance casting conventional reels, unless I am really trying to huck it, in which case mono wins, not because it casts better,  but because of the emotional scars from past nasty braid backlashes at the worst possible moment.  I am usually not willing to put that extra bit of mustard into the cast :).  The guys that cast spinners and do not go up so much in diameter, generally seem to get more distance. 

I second SoCal's suggestion.   Try both  with the gear and line sizes that you would actually fish with and report back!

-J