Older version shimano calcutta 700

Started by SevenYearsDown, February 19, 2019, 06:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

I was recently given a shimano calcutta 700. Gold reel, wooden handle and very beat up. What do you guys think about this reel? I was planning on using it for rockfishing up to about 400ft. Where can I get new drags? What parts should I watch out for that will need replacing? I am planning on cleaning it up and adding some grease and oil. And how do you tell which version is which? Thank you.

redsetta

Hi SYD,
This might help:
The carbontex drag upgrade is available from Dawn at Smoothdrag.
Any queries, let us know.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

SevenYearsDown

Thank you Justin. By any chance do you know if a clamp is available for this reel?

exp2000

Assuming it has a worm drive:

CT700 aka CT700A

The subsequent B series was a much better design using only about half the number of moving parts in the gear case.

Circa 1996; Most parts or this reel would be obsolete.
~

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: SevenYearsDown on February 19, 2019, 07:52:55 PM
Thank you Justin. By any chance do you know if a clamp is available for this reel?

A standard Shimano clamp should work. 

I had 2 Shimano Calcutta 700S (non-levelwind) reels that I used for casting swimbaits for albacore, sold one (given a choice, the buyer wanted the older one for some reason other than $10 cheaper asking price).  Still have the other one but haven't used it in over 10 years.  Great casting reels, but easily out done by my Penn Torque star drags.