Request for possible assistance with Beastmaster 130, 50-80

Started by Makule, February 20, 2019, 04:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Just in case my brain doesn't get back to functioning within short order, is there anyone who can put the two subject reels back together?  Would like the 130 back in service soon but the 50-80 can wait a while.

Took them apart, let them sit, and now don't recall how to reassemble.  Looking at schematic doesn't help.

Old age brain dysfunction.  Neurologist says left and right brain not in sync.  Just started the meds.  Too soon to determine effectiveness.....but I need to fish.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

Wish I could help Albert. but I know nothing about the Beast Masters.
Life is Good!

foakes

Alan is your man on these, Makule —

I have worked on plenty of these — but if parts are needed — Alan would likely have them without needing to order, or track them down.

And Alan has had more experience than me on these.

The ones I generally do are up to 50 size.

If Alan is too backlogged — then Keith in Florida, or Bill in Alaska when his hand gets better.

Also John, in Hawaii.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

yeah, been working like a madman all week.  the beastmasters would take all day, and then some.  hell, a dozen newells took me 5 days.   i'm working as fast as i can, but in could not get to these until the summer.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

I have done one of the 2 speeds before and it requires quite a bit of labor..I custom cut/fit/glued a butyle rubber disc to replace the degraded factory silicone.  The 1-speeds are pretty straight forward and can be serviced similar to the Tiagra.

I too have been busy with many projects backing up on my bench, trying to buy a house, busy at work, and rebuilding my boat. 

I really don't have the time now to take these on. 

We can help you through the process if you try to take a stab at them yourself.

Johm
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Makule

Just borrowed another one to look at.  Should be able to get my two back together shortly.  All the parts are there and cleaned up.  It's my brain that's missing parts and cluttered.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Donnyboat

Hi Keith, take as many photos as possible, as you dismantle, this will help your memory when placing them back together, I hope you keep improving, mate, but dont over load your brain to much to early, good luck, cheers Don, I have had that trouble, since I was born.
Don, or donnyboat

Makule

After looking at the functioning reel, I had to make an adjustment to the drag disk (material I used was too thick).  Put it together and something still not right.  Nevertheless, progress has been made. 
Got a bit frustrated so took a break and did some electrical wiring.
Have another couple of weeks before my next trip so there is more time to finish.  Second one should be easier to figure out and assemble.

Shark Hunter

Glad you have things under control Albert.
You have been called Keith and Roy in this thread?
Albert is your name, Right?
You are one of the first members that helped me on this site.
I won't forget that. ;)
Life is Good!

Makule

I'm old enough to not recall much anymore.  First to help you?  Glad to have helped.  Anytime.

Ohhhh, you can call me Albert, you can call me Keith, you can call me Roy, you can call me Makule.  Just don't call me when I'm sleeping.

People who do not know me too well usually call me Al.  People who do not know me at all call me Albert.  People who know me very well call me Albert.  Interesting how that works.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 22, 2019, 05:38:30 AM
Glad you have things under control Albert.
You have been called Keith and Roy in this thread?
Albert is your name, Right?
You are one of the first members that helped me on this site.
I won't forget that. ;)

Alto Mare

Albert is not new to this site by no means.
He's also the proud owner of the plate for the very first double dog
Ever done on a Senator that started it all:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.msg19719#msg19719
The plate was given to him about the same time, 8 years ago.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

If I recall correctly, I mentioned having done a double dog on a Senator but did not have the reel by the time I posted it and could not provide any images/proof.  Nevertheless, if it had some small inspiration for Sal to do it himself, that is great.  Frankly, when I did it, I was attempting to mimic the Pfleuger Templar and Atlapac reels where I first saw it.  Seemed simple enough.  After doing it, it seemed just a novelty so I didn't give it much thought and never did it again.

I think my innovation days are over.  Modern technology is so much more sophisticated and guys like Sal are so much more creative that they leave me in awe.

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 22, 2019, 10:04:29 PM
Albert is not new to this site by no means.
He's also the proud owner of the plate for the very first double dog
Ever done on a Senator that started it all:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.msg19719#msg19719
The plate was given to him about the same time, 8 years ago.

Sal

Shark Hunter

Albert,
Don't cut yourself short.
When I first came here, I couldn't assemble a simple Senator.
Guys like you helped me a lot in the beginning.
You were on your game and helped me to figure it all out.
I appreciate that to this day.
So Roy, Keith or Al. You are very well appreciated on this site.
Now and forever.
I wish you only the best my friend,
Daron
Life is Good!

Makule

The Beastmaster 50--80 was in use before I took it apart to overhaul.  Wasn't broken but I wanted to fix it.  Forgot the adage.  Took it apart and couldn't get it back together, as I've stated in this thread.  Today, I noticed that the line on the spool comes off when the handle is cranked.  How can this be?  The spool only goes in one way.  The handle only cranks one way.  The reel was working properly when I took it apart and nothing was changed.  Thinking maybe it was just a few yards wound backwards, I took out about 100 yards and no change.  I must be totally losing it.  To reinforce this notion, my neurologist recently did a brain scan and said my left and right hemispheres were not working in sync.  That might explain things.   Growing old sure ain't for sissies.