I love having a healthy parts bin

Started by tincanary, December 23, 2019, 04:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Kind of a habit of mine, I usually scoop up cheap parts as I see them browsing eBay and other forums.  As a result, I built this guy yesterday just piece mealing some parts I had.  A little run down of the parts; frame and left spool tension knob from a '77 5500C, right side plate from a late 90s 5500 C3, left side plate from a early/mid 00s 5500CS Rocket, spool from a newer production 5500 C3, and an Abu Power Handle.  It'll get time on the water this weekend soaking bait for burbot on the St Clair River here in SE Michigan.  It sure is a smooth reel, hopefully that bait clicker makes me smile Saturday night.

I usually scoop up cheap parts as I see them browsing eBay and other forums.

Gfish

Cool!
Looks like most parts are metal, with matching colors to boot!
Let us know how it performs. I'd be interested to know how it casts...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

tincanary

Quote from: Gfish on December 23, 2019, 05:27:09 PM
Cool!
Looks like most parts are metal, with matching colors to boot!
Let us know how it performs. I'd be interested to know how it casts...

It casts beautifully.  I spooled up some 12lb Big Game, tied on a 3/8oz practice plug, and took it out to the yard yesterday afternoon.  While I didn't measure any of the casts, it was slinging that plug a good distance with no backlash.  She's lubed with Cal's Purple, TSI 301, Liquid Grease, and Super Lube.  The idler gear post, worm gear end, brake drum, and spool shaft end where the spool pinion makes contact were all polished as well.  The bearings are OEM Abu 4x10x4 with the shields removed.