Pro Gear parts?

Started by captainwayne, February 21, 2019, 04:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainwayne

I'm a S Florida sportfishing captain who has loved PG's since their beginning!
We use the 440 series as well as the 541's, and the Albacore Specials as well.
I finally had a gear failure on a 440 and need a solution!
I'd love to buy several sets of main/pinion gears for them!
Please let me know if they are available and how much
Thank you in advance
Captain Wayne

Darin Crofton

Hi Wayne,
The pg 440 has a steel main and pinion at 4:1, any penn 113H gears will work in it. You can put some Pro Challenger stainless steel gears if you want the best, they are 4:1 as well, you can also put any penn gears in it if you'd like. If you want to put a stronger drag like Bryan Young's 7 + 1 kit or an insert drag from pro challenger or motive fabrication, then I would also recommend a ss sleeve, ss yoke, ss eccentric and a handle upgrade. The possibilities are endless and there is a ton of info on this site. Go search around in here and I'm sure you'll get lost for days, that's what I did  ;D
Darin

Here's a link to Pro Challengers website, but lot's of info on everything I mentioned is in the For Sale section on this site under all the names I listed above.

https://squareup.com/store/pro-challenger-llc/
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

X2 on what Darin said, I have the full magilla in a 545 and added a 2 dog bridge,awesome reel. I think Mystic sells those from pro challenger. The  difference is the yoke, you'll need to use the one in the reel, a 4/0 yoke won't work. Nice reels,should last a couple more decades
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Hello Captain Wayne,

Personally, I would just replace the main and pinion  gears with a Penn 113H set. If you need a new yoke 440 or 541, I sell them for $6 each mailed.  The brass/stainless set will be much smoother and quieter than any SS set. They should be good for 20# of drag with a new 6-113HSP drag kit.

Unfortunately I have no replacement parts for any of the Albacore special reels.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

captainwayne

I didn't try penn 4/0 gears! Will do and thanks for all the input

gstours

Question.  Can anyone describe what is different with the pg 440 yoke from the penn 113h yoke.
    I've never noticed that the parts are different,  and don't wanna tear a reel apart to learn.
         Just wondering.🤷‍♂️

Bryan Young

Quote from: gstours on March 15, 2019, 03:43:10 PM
Question.  Can anyone describe what is different with the pg 440 yoke from the penn 113h yoke.
    I've never noticed that the parts are different,  and don't wanna tear a reel apart to learn.
         Just wondering.🤷‍♂️
Hi Gary,

The yokes are exactly the same between Pro Gear's PG454/PG440/PG441 and Penn's 113H/113HL/113HLW. 

Pro Gear's PG545/PG541 uses a yoke that looks like a jig master yoke but is able to support a 113H/113HL/113HLW pinion gear.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sabaman1

Does anyone know if parts are available for the Pro gear V50 ?

Thanks
         Jim
JIM

Bryan Young

Quote from: sabaman1 on July 26, 2019, 01:25:10 AM
Does anyone know if parts are available for the Pro gear V50 ?

Thanks
         Jim
Let me check with my source.

Bryan

Bryan Young

sabaman1

Bryan, I'm looking for a gear shaft and main gear for the newer 2015 Version Pro gear V50.

Thanks JIm
JIM