The Ohana at Work, Thank You Sal!

Started by Rothmar2, February 22, 2019, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

QuoteJust another day in the Life of the Alan Tani Ohana
Well put Fred.
Thanks for perpetuating it Sal and thanks for sharing Chris.
Would also like to see the upgrade!
All the best lads, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

TechTeach

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

exp2000

There are some great people on this site.

Those who not only help each other but sacrifice their own time and money to help a young boy preserve his childhood dreams.

Well done, Chris and Sal.
~

Rothmar2

Thanks to Mike who uploaded the photos after I emailed them to him last night, unfortunately the orientation has not been sorted on account of these photos coming straight from my phone. I didn't take many, as I was aware that the site is currently having problems with photo uploads. I have edited the first post of this thread with a picture of what was required with the Stock piece Sal had sent me.

It was then a simple matter of chucking the Hex bar into the mini lathe and skimming the end to 5.7mm diameter to tap the shaft M6.

I then tapped the plastic cover from the non-handle end to M6 as well to screw onto the end of the shaft. At final assembly, some Blue Loctite was added to these threads to prevent the cover from easily unwinding.

I then cut the bar to length, and then filed the flats to take the handle. The final step was to drill the shaft to accept the pin which passes through the handle and the shaft to join them. I actually machined a little point onto the end of the pin, to make a centre punch to get the hole located accurately. You can see the pin raised and ready in this pic....

That's all I have to show.  The pin was 3mm in diametre, so simply drilled the shaft through the filed flats to accept the handle. I was actually quite pleased with the fit, there was no slop in the final assembly.

The reel was fully cleaned and serviced along with this part build. I polished the main spool shaft with the dremel to a high shine where it passed through the bushes. I also swapped the felt drag washers for some carbon ones which I made as well, not that they were needed, as the drag was adequate as it was.

So there you have it. Many thanks Sal!

Dominick

Chris you are a good man for doing that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Sal set us a good example of how to live and love life right up to the end.  He will be missed by all..   Peace Sal.

Gfish

Quote from: gstours on October 11, 2020, 02:01:04 PM
Sal set us a good example of how to live and love life right up to the end.  He will be missed by all..   Peace Sal.

Yup, the site won't be he same without him, but is better for having knowen him.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Well one night I was watching jaws and my girlfriend got me a 12 pack and the next day I was a proud winner of a 16/0 ,,,,the first thing I wanted to do is trick it out and kieth introduced me to "uncle sal" and he built the shark tank,,,,,he said it was a group effort of members here who make the best custom parts and when randy got the 20/0 kit,,,he helped me give uncle sal a surprise for when he installed it,,,,,uncle sal always did incredible work,,,,I never could thank enough for what he did.

Cathy Ciarlante

Hello,

Please forgive me, this is my real first time of being on the website (for longer than one minute as I just break out in tears every time I try) and so I am not quite sure where to post this message so I suppose that I will post it on every page that is listed under the In Memory of Sal Ciarlante. That is the only way that I know that I will reach everyone who commented, left lovely messages of condolence, or wished my family comfort, in any way.

I cannot express how much the love and support, that my family received from AlanTani.com, has meant to us! There really are no words to express my deep, deep appreciation and very sincere gratitude for your continued support! This past month has been just so devastating and painful for me, Alyssa and Anthony and grieving in the time of a global pandemic has just made it even more difficult. It is still very surreal and I wake each day thinking perhaps it was just a bad dream. I must admit that I have not yet found the courage to be in Sal's work area (where he did all of his custom reel work and repairs) for even a whole minute, yet. On the one time I walked back there, I saw that he still had a small paintbrush in some sort of gel and his tools were spread out all over...it must have been what he was working on the day we left for the hospital, so long ago. I walked back there, and I could just see him sitting on that chair, with a beautiful smile on his face, doing what gave him such satisfaction and joy! It was all I could take, but I am working up the courage to go back there again, some day soon. The kids and I do spend time in Sal's mancave, each night, and it's comforting to be surrounded by his things.

I would have liked very much to have the celebration of Sal's life, that I believe he deserved, but I felt very strongly that we needed to respect the pandemic and do everything in our power to keep our family, friends and loved ones safe! As you read in his obituary, we are planning a post-Covid 19, late-springtime memorial service, God willing. I will be sure to post all of the details, at that time! We had an immediate family funeral and laid Sal's remain to rest on a stormy Friday (October 16) and I felt as though the heavens were crying for my Sal. As I told you all before, not only did the Alan Tani family get mentioned in Sal's obituary, but Alyssa (our daughter) mentioned it in his Eulogy, as well.

I am so sorry that this first post of mine was so long but I just wanted to be sure to express my gratitude and to let you all know how important you are to me and the kids!

I wish you, and your families, a blessed Thanksgiving holiday!

All my very best,
Cathy Ciarlante & Family

foakes

Thanks, Cathy —

For keeping us up to date!

Sal's not far from any of us either. 

Let us know if there is anything that you need.

The "Ohana" family is your family forever.

We wish you, Alyssa, and Anthony — better days, and a peaceful Thanksgiving.

All the Best,

Fred & Sue
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Thank you Cathy for reaching out.  We love long posts here at AT.com, especially from you.  Sal was spcial in many ways.  We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

It's great to hear from Sal's family. I miss his input here immensely. What you said about Sal's tools still being spread across the table...that so reminds me of my father I recently lost. Pop's effects are also still right where he left them...when I took him to the hospital. I too haven't had the power to disturb any of it...I guess in some way it helps me to deal with it all. Wishing you and the kids a Happy Thanksgiving.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rothmar2

Hi Cathy and Family,

Strength for the time ahead. Thanks for openly expressing your feelings. I wished I could have met him. As you can see from this thread he touched the lives of many, even those who are on the other side of the planet.

Thoughts with you,

Chris

Rivverrat

Never met Sal... I miss the random early morning conversations through pm's. Nothing to say except this hurts & sucks !! mostly to blame for my not be around much... Jeff

Benni3

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 24, 2020, 01:32:40 PM
Never met Sal... I miss the random early morning conversations through pm's. Nothing to say except this hurts & sucks !! mostly to blame for my not be around much... Jeff
Yes I loved uncle sal,,,,,,,, ;) got a message from hem this week just a reminder,,,,,,,  :) but it was from uncle sal and it was the best,,,,,,,,, ;D