Van staal vsb 100-

Started by hafnor, September 22, 2011, 05:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

So I know there are a lot of guys out there that uses the van staal reels, and that includes me. the VS vsb100 is a spinning reel with the size equal to a daiwa 4000 size reel. I first heard of van staal for some year ago while the local tackle shop is has the agentur for the product here in Norway. The van staals have a retro look and are pretty tough when it comes to handle cranking. The reason was (was told in a tackle shop in Florida) that they use the same grease that tanks have LOL! The reel is often used while submerged in water. The reels is probably the easiest I have taken apart before, and became much smoother after the regreasing.

here it goes.

the reel weighs in just under 17oz

off goes the drag screw and the spool.

off goes the handle

van staal deliveres a self service kit and there is a tool that is used for opening the left side frame (hard plastic) I didn't have that so I taped the area I was using the wrench. this prevents scratches.

off goes the frame and the main gear in one operation. (very nice metalwork here)

out goes the bearing

clean and relube

then slap it back in

clean and relube

slap back into the housing.

four umbraco screws will remove the rotor

all main components detached

tape this one too, so it will stay nice and not full of scratches

this one goes out clockwise

pull out the retainer pin

I do not know what this part is called and I could not disassemble it. However there was a bearing the that I could clean out and regrease.

on to the house, remove old grease

Off goes the reel foot

the spaces here are filled with silicone. I just slapped some grease on it and put it back

screw it back on and add a thin coat of grease inside the house

back on with that thing. (roller clutch???)

back on with the retainer pin

back on with the main gear and housing

back on with the rotor

add a pearl of grease on the screws.

on to the handle (just add some grease so it won't seize up)

and then you are all done

Alto Mare

Very nice Job hafnor, I always wanted to see what that reel looked like on the inside. Does the housing cover have a gasket?

That reel is not cheap, maybe these would help a little :-\.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2759.msg16771#msg16771

I asked Aaron if he was willing to make us some sets of pliers with teflon jaws, but never heard back from him.
Thanks for sharing. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

x2 on Sal's post - great job Hafnor.
Love the design - form follows function.
Nice work, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

hafnor

thank you guys. I really like the simplicity of the whole reel, and that plier looks very valueable!

Alto Mare

Hafnor, what kind of grease are you using on that reel. I've opened a few reels  not long ago and the grease was simlar to yours. I really liked the consistency but wasn't sure about durability, so I just wiped it all off.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 24, 2011, 04:15:24 PM
Hafnor, what kind of grease are you using on that reel. I've opened a few reels  not long ago and the grease was simlar to yours. I really liked the consistency but wasn't sure about durability, so I just wiped it all off.

Hi alto mare. The grease used here was a multi purpose grease from penn. I got it from an international reel (followed in the package) The grease had very good concistensy. very easy to work with and was sticky enough to sit firm on the parts.

Alto Mare

Thanks Hafnor! I really liked the consistency and how it stayed on parts.

Irish Jigger

Thank's for a great tutorial Hafnor. Your post should encourage those of us who are reluctant to break down and service spinners.

hafnor

This reel was so easy you won't believe it. I hate spinners really but this one was a lot of fun

madday

nice job hafnor....

do it crank smoother now?
no longer the tank's grease inside......  i don't think so.... ;D

kenwahoo

Good to know that the Van Staal's are easy to service. Dreading to open my Saltiga.

GKFISH

Hello Everyone,

Im trying to change the radial bearing on my VS 250B and came across this newly posted video.  Has anyone hear heard of this tool...looks very simple but effective.

GKFISH

GKFISH

steelfish

woww.. great post, I have a friend who told me if I am brave enough to service his van staal and everysingle site I saw there was a service kit for $80, but this thread just shows how easy could be.

this is really old thread since the OP post but I have few questions:

does the reel feel smoother? even a bit?
this reel has 5 or 7 seals (as far as I remember) most on the drag and some on the inner gears but I couldnt identify any of those seal on the main gears.

thanks a lot, I think you just save a lot of guys $80 dlls for the service kit tools.
The Baja Guy