Penn Jigmaster Take Apart Not Working Properly

Started by TexasFish, February 22, 2019, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasFish

Hi.  This is my first post to the site.  I have used the info from all of you to rebuild the drag stack on a Penn 320 GTI, to service a couple of 4/0's and a Jigmaster.  Sorry, but I did not make photos of the 320 to show all of you.  That won't happen again!  The info on this site is great and it is clear enough I have yet to be stumped ... until today. 

I just received a Jigmaster in the mail.  Looks to be new or almost new.  Here is the problem:  when I back off the thumb screw for the quick take apart, it is nearly impossible to rotate the side plate to remove it. Though I was finally able to muscle it loose, I have not been able to rotate the side sufficiently to line up the thumb screw to able to properly reassemble the reel.     

What I have tries so far: 
1. i examined the ring around the right side plate and can not find any obvious issue.  I did not see anything like debris or warpage. 
3. I tried greasing the slots or tracks into which the pins are inserted prior to rotating the face back on.  Greasing did not help. 
5. I tightened the screws inside the ring to make sure they are flush.  I was careful not to overtighten the screws.  All appears to be flush, but it did not help.

Any thoughts?.  I like this reel and plan to use it for head boats on the Gulf of Mexico.

foakes

Hi Howard, and welcome!

If on my bench, first things first —

I notice that the shift lever is in active engagement — Instead of freespool.

Shift to freespool before assembling attempt —

Also, the spool tension adjuster on the tail plate should be unscrewed outward — before trying to assemble.

If the ring rotates in and locks OK — then you would adjust the spool tension to slight sideways movement — but still good freespool.

If this doesn't work, then you need to determine where the locking pins are binding — providing nothing is out of round, or tweaked.

Let us know your progress...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TexasFish

Fred - I did not notice the spool tensioner issue.  I backed it off and place the reel in free spool.  When I attempted to reinstall the side plate, it was as before ... practically immovable.  The pin slip into the proper slot ok, but the side plate will not rotate.  I don't see any obvious signs of binding ... no scratching from my repeated attempts to get the side plate to rotate.   I reexamined the ring into which the side plate fits and everything appears to be properly round. 

bluefish69

Sometimes The locking pins are too long. I filed them & everything worked perfectly. DON'T TAKE TOO MUCH OFF THE PIN. 1 file stroke at a time around the reel at a time.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

I think Mike is possibly right — but first before filing one stroke at a time — remove the locking ring and just see if it locks in place without the posts screwed to it.

Also, that reel looks very clean — but occasionally if any ring or headplate has been replaced — the pins and slots may not work together as the6 should.

They have made JM's for a long time — and there are sometimes slight differences.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Welcome TexasFish.
Good idea Mike. I've a couple almost as bad as TexasFish, but the're doable, cept for too much force is needed.
I wonder if the head-plate could be tweakin the ring a bit, due to bakelite swelling? This does happen to Penns sometimes. I'd think sunlight and saltwater and time would cause, or contribute, to the problem.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

I have one that takes all I got to turn it into place.  Just torque it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

I have squidder like that, just couldn't get it all the way so the screw would go in. I separated the rings, then used a small file in the slots the pins go in and took a small amount of material off. Same effect as filing the pin.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

TexasFish

Mike/Fred/Dominick

I went the full on "torque it" route.  Got it back together.  Of course, I immediately disassembled the thing.  I have a local source for Penn parts - Southwestern Parts.  I'm going over tomorrow to get fresh HT100s for the reel.  For now going to just put three in and a new washer under the main gear.  This will likely be a strictly 30# mono reel for bottom fishing.  Stock drag will be good enough for now.

The ring could be a replacement, but the whole thing looks new.  Even the drag washers appear to be original material and unused.  It's not just the lack of grime and dirt that makes it look new, there are next to no scratches on the reel inside or out.  Everything shines.  No lube on the inside to speak of, the lubrication you see in the new photos i put on the reel this evening.  I like the file the pins thought.  I may have to buy a precision file ... any excuse for a new tool.  

The only new issue is the bakelite spool, which I broke. A casualty of "torquing it".  I was so focused on the right hand plate, i forgot the left hand plate.  I should have checked everything for alignment one more time.  My bad there.  

I was planning to replace the spool with a metal (probably a Newell) spool anyway.  I understand the Newell and Penn aluminum spools have a little more capacity, although this seems anecdotal as I have not seen any spec that supports this idea.  

I will keep the post update with photos etc. until I have it together and working correctly.  At any rate, THANKS!

foakes

Yes, Southwestern in Dallas is a good source.

Sorry about the spool — we have all done this at one time or another — and generally only once.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)  My two cents , Try assembling with out the spool .       You can get a better view of the pins and slots .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

TexasFish

Update:

I tried assembly w/o the spool.  It did not really show me anything.  I also removed the ring from the posts and stands, then fit it to the reel.  Again, nothing manifested itself.

I also tried the file on the pins and ring with no effect.

I'm buying another used Jigmaster reel locally  this week.  I will try cross fitting right side plate assemblies to see if that tells me anything.

Southwestern parts has a new ring in stock.  I will likely drive back over there this week and pick one up, maybe after I fit check all this on the 2nd Jigmaster I am buying this week.

New photos of the reel "assembled" with the Take Apart issue. New drag washers installed and reel has been lubed.  Looks good so far and spins like a top. 

akfish

This happens fairy frequently. I think it is often caused by a torqued frame. As for your new spool, an aluminum Penn spool will work fine. I doubt you could tell any difference between it and a Newell while fishing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

TexasFish

I want to close the loop on this project.  I went to Southwestern Parts and Service this AM to look at a NIB Handle Side Ring.  When I compared the NIB ring and the ring installed on my reel (aka old ring), it appeared the inner portion of the old ring was separating slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY) from the outer portion of the ring. This seemed to me to be enough interference to create the binding i was experiencing.  The comment about tweaking came to mind and I wonder if this is how the tweaking manifested itself in this reel.

I bought the NIB ring, took it home and installed it on my reel.  It now works like a charm.  I have installed it on the rod and it looks great.  Can't wait to use it (I hope!!) in a few weeks.

I have attached a picture of the old ring which shows the slight separation.  I have also attached a picture of the reel mounted on the Ugly Stik Elite rod.

Thanks to all of you for your help and for your patience with a newly to the site.

foakes

Good sleuthing and doing the job, Howard!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.