Accurate Tern Drag Issue Atlantani

Started by Walt, February 24, 2019, 12:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt

Mr Alan ,
You have been very very quiet regarding this  Accurate Tern low drag issue. What's up with that, why so quiet. Please give us your thoughts on why guys are having so much trouble getting the 30 lbs of drag as advertised????

alantani

i have seen the drag stack but have not actually pulled on one of these.  i have also not seen the claim about the 30 pounds of drag, mostly because it's not something that i would ever ask about or pay attention to. 

however, a 30 pound drag setting is what i would use for the strike setting penn international visx 20  or okuma makaira 20.  and you have to ask what rod you would use.  typically i would use a unite composites viper or a seeker 2x4 to survive a 30 pound load.  i would never set a star drag reel that high, and, even if i could, i would never put a reel like that on a rod that heavy.   :-\

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

I believe that there are some variations on these reels. Especially the first ones that left factory and the recent ones. Often they find small mistakes on their first batch and then they fix it... First buyers are "field testers" of some sort you could say.

30 lb drag on a tiny reel I am sure is possible, but as to what Alan says.... Is that really an actual scenario for a reel this size. Pushing over 25 pounds of drag I would think you are fishing strong 40kg+ fish... Maybe not suited for a reel that holds 300yd of 30 pound braid... Using 30 lb of drag you should use 80 pound+ braid... That leaves you with like... 80-120yd of line on the reel....

Another thing is that almost every reel manufacturer blows their drag numbers up... There is also a substantial difference between full drag on a full spool vs. a close to empty spool.

I havent seen the tern nor tried it... Just giving my input

SoCalAngler

I agree with was has been said by both above, though I'd like to add some. Realistically, even with the 4.7 gear reels most people would not fish these reels over say over a 50 lb test setting, somewhere between 13-16 lbs of drag. Over that bigger reels, lower gearing and or two speed reels are what most use.

Petah

I was looking at the main gear and how both sides have drags. It looks just like some do by putting a carbontex drag under the main gear
on some of the other star drag reels out there! My problem with this is that the gear isn't thick enough to displace the heat
created by the drags and I agree with Sal that the under gear washer should be something slick like delrin. Just my opinion but I think Adam's, Lee's and Alan C.'s drag stacks work better.

Peter

Benni3

This would be good for musky fishing,,,,,80lb test,,,,but I don't think you need 30lb of drag,,,,, ;D

jurelometer

An update:

Accurate now has the Tern schematic posted: https://accuratefishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TX-BOM.pdf

Looks to me like there is only a one-way bearing with no  dog/pawl.

BTW,  there is a purpose for high drag settings in the lighter range saltwater  reels.   At a  couple of the places I fish in Baja, we cast to some decent sized snapper, grouper and yellowtail in very shallow/rocky  water certain times of the year.   We fish 60 lb leader and need to stop the fish right away.  Breakoffs are frequent.   A reel that can handle a high drag setting for a short burst is useful.   I wouldn't want to use a 20 sized lever drag and a tuna stick for this kind of fishing, just as I wouldn't want to use a small star drag with the drag locked down and a light casting rod to fish for bigger tuna.

-J

Rivverrat

If you have this reel & you are liking it great !

I believe it to be a good reel of decent design.

However if you fish most every day like myself & push your smaller star drag reels with line & drag level used the Penn Torque is a much better reel for this type of use I described... Jeff

SoCalAngler

Quote from: jurelometer on May 16, 2019, 02:59:18 AM
An update:

Accurate now has the Tern schematic posted: https://accuratefishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TX-BOM.pdf

BTW,  there is a purpose for high drag settings in the lighter range saltwater  reels.   At a  couple of the places I fish in Baja, we cast to some decent sized snapper, grouper and yellowtail in very shallow/rocky  water certain times of the year.   We fish 60 lb leader and need to stop the fish right away.  Breakoffs are frequent.   A reel that can handle a high drag setting for a short burst is useful.   I wouldn't want to use a 20 sized lever drag and a tuna stick for this kind of fishing, just as I wouldn't want to use a small star drag with the drag locked down and a light casting rod to fish for bigger tuna.

-J

Got to love fishing pargo close to the rocks.

jurelometer

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 16, 2019, 06:42:25 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on May 16, 2019, 02:59:18 AM
An update:

-J

Got to love fishing pargo close to the rocks.

The hookup alone should count as a cardio workout.   Whack!    Thumpa, thumpa, thumpa :)

Fishead

I'm going to fish 20lb on my 400 and 30lb on my 600 so this will not be an issue for me
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!