new guy with a DQ 440

Started by nagant, March 02, 2019, 04:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

great forum everyone!  Been lurking for a week or so and think i need to ask a few questions but will try the pic's first. Anyway bought it at a resale shop for $4 bucks, it was half off day!   Seems to work good but spool is crooked maybe 1/8 inch when at top of travel.  What is the 3 position spot that just reels backwards for?  I get about 3 revolutions of free wheel if i spin the handle and let go, is that about right for these?   Nice but a little big for my needs but would make a good river rig for night fishing for cat, just gotta find a 7ft white pole.                                                                                                                                  
Brice

foakes

Welcome, nagant!

Good reels, good buy.

Don't know about the spool unless you can give/show us more info.  Warped spool, bent spool shaft (unlikely since the reel spins and oscillates well, improperly mounted rotor, or?

Rotations are about right for a spinner.  But just denotes smoothness — since the line coils off of the top of the spool — freespool is not a performance factor — although it indicates a good reel.

A 440 is a 330 size frame and gears — with a larger rotating head and spool.  Salmon, steelhead, stripers, muskie, walleye, pike, Lakers.

If mine, it would get a complete disassemble, cleaning and polishing of all interior and exterior parts, reassembly using modern synthetic grease and syn oil, new drags.

And figure out the spool issue.

Not a lot of these 440's made.

On the 3-position switch —

This is a clever way to switch the crank from left crank to right crank.  It just needs the assembly removed and attached to the opposite side — reverse the oscillation arm, and switch the ball lever the opposite position.  The middle position is neutral (cranks forward or backwards — but with no anti-reverse)

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nagant

thanks for the reply.  will try to explain the problem (which is not a big deal).  picture is better but the high spot never changes position, about half way tween the handle and reel mount. i gave up on reel repair long ago, lucky i can still tie knots ::)  the pic shows the angle but spoolis  not quite at full extension. i think the shaft got tweeked as the outer part that spins and bail is attached to spins true.
Brice

foakes

If the spool, and spindle spool seating are all square and everything is nesting properly — it may be a slightly tweaked spool shaft that got tweaked while at full outward extension.

To verify this — just pop off the spool, pop off the side plate, then remove the tiny keeper screw at the South end of the spool shaft — the shaft will just remove easily.

Clean the shaft up so you can see what you are working with — then profile the shaft with a metal straightedge to find if the shaft is tweaked.  If so, just tap the opposite side where the bend is — using a hardwood block and a nylon covered hammer — until trued up.

The other thing to check before doing this — remove the spool — then using a white piece of copy paper with a straight line — compare the rotor rotation visually against the straight line to check if there is any off-rotation wobble at a certain point.

The tolerances are so tight on these old Quicks — that it can't off too much — since you did not mention any rubbing issues.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nagant

thanks Fred, i did what you said and shaft was bent.  Full of some light green grease that reminds me of lithium. polished the shaft, cleaned out the excess grease rotated the AR to the bottom.   Only thing i wonder about is the little screw that holds the shaft in.  Hole in the brass arm is larger then shoulder of that headless screw but there is another that connects everything together, arm, block, shaft end so maybe it needs the play for movement? 
Brice

foakes

Yes, you are exactly right.

There needs to be a little movement as well as up & down play connecting the spool axle to the oscillation arm — via the alloy connecting block.

As you see from my photos, the headless slide pin is threaded into the spool axle — but is not threaded into the alloy connecting block.  When assembled — It is similar to a "U-Joint" on a vehicle driveline.

After you remove and clean all of that funky grease out of the reel — and lightly regrease with good synthetic grease and syn oil — it will operate perfectly.

Good observations & good work!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

nagant

Awesome now i can sleep :)  You pulled a fast one on me (remove small screw from end of shaft and slide out), With all that grease i felt like Hawkeye feeling around for shrapnel on M.A.S.H. :D. Thanks again it needed to be fixed, now i want a small one!
Brice

festus

Quote from: nagant on March 03, 2019, 06:26:46 AM
Awesome now i can sleep :)  You pulled a fast one on me (remove small screw from end of shaft and slide out), With all that grease i felt like Hawkeye feeling around for shrapnel on M.A.S.H. :D. Thanks again it needed to be fixed, now i want a small one!
Welcome, Nagant, be patient on Ebay and a small one can be found for a decent price.

I'm not sure how small you want to consider, but the 220 is your average freshwater sized reel.  The 221 is a high speed version of the 220.

Fred built me a Microlite 265 I received about a month ago. Awesome, tiny little reel built a little differently than your 440.

Got two model 110 I won on Ebay auctions.  They are built very similar to your 440 in miniature.

I also have the two of the 110N.  Completely different animals than the other two.  Maybe not as strongly built as the 110, but in my opinion feels smoother and better balanced.

Your 440 should be an excellent reel for catfishing, it undoubtedly could handle blues or flatheads up to 50 lbs.

nagant

Soon as i picked that 440 up and spun the crank i knew it was coming home!  Great plans for it below the local Mississippi river dam, just need a bunch of backer line or a spacer as 60-80 yds is the most i use.  So many models! 220 or 110 is on the radar for now The 220 would be about right for most of what i do anymore, jigging off the riprap or fishing out of a canoe and bank fishing on the Wisconsin river.  221 would be good when charged by those crazed smallmouth's :D.  lost a lot of good fish by by not being able to crank the slack in fast enough. But nerve damage has slowed me down, especially working on small parts. Here is a pic of the kind of camp that i like for night fishing, lower Wisconsin river.
Brice

nagant

The bail has a rough spot, are they chromed?  Seems like low magnetic stainless so will try buffing it out.
Brice

happyhooker

Welcome, nagant, from Minnesota.

Another DQ fan--the more the merrier.

Frank

Rivverrat

That's a proper sand bar camp... Jeff

nagant

Old thread but thought i would post my experience today.  First cast i hooked into a 38 inch Buffalo carp on a 1/2 ounce jig with a twister tail, i found out 15 minutes later.  Reel and drag were nice and smooth, i could only get about half my spool back and he'd run it out again. Thanks for helping me get these reels fixed up. Game warden walked up as soon as i got there and said "you snagged already?", then the drag screamed!  Another thing i like about these and the N series is you dont have to worry about the off side crank shaft coming loose or the caps falling off.
Brice

happyhooker

Lotta fun, looks like, with that buffalo.  They are an extremely strong fish; hard fighters, and, yeah, they pull off a bunch of line, then let you get them in close, then take off again on another run, etc., etc.  They aren't so easy to catch on artificials, but I, too, have had some luck with a medium size jig and either a marabou, twister tail or swim tail body.

Frank