Custom Rod

Started by sharkman, March 02, 2019, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Bought a custom rod at yard sale looking to see if anyone can give some info on it. It has Bermuda Rods SP19MP2026.

Rivverrat

Some pics would be a big help... Jeff

sharkman

The rod is one piece approximately 9 ft or longer. The blank looks similar to ugly stik but is slick. The clear tip has a black cor

philaroman

sanded custom Ugly?  Shakes didn't sand the spiral ridges, to keep prices lower

sharkman

Sad update to rod. I had the broken eye fixed and took it for its maiden cast. First cast out the rod broke at the reel seat. After taking it apart found someone had put a wooden dowel to hold the two broken pieces together. Win some, loose some when buying used stuff.

The Fishing Hobby

steelfish

thats the risks of a yard sale buy, but that didnt stop many of us to continue the treasure hunting
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

drill out the dowel and shunt shunt it properly with a piece of fiber glas from an old rod, wrap some black thread over the joint and have your guide repair guy epoxy over it. this is doable. i wonder if that is a semi-custom build on a mudhole gator glas blank- I think they have them in smooth finish now with the ugly stick style solid tip

philaroman

why bother to repair a break at the seat of a 9'+ 1-pc rod?
if the tip is fine, just turn it (back?) into a 7' rod
...or, it might make a good tip section for a surf rod

happyhooker

Whatever--it'd be a shame to just chuck a custom-made rod.

Frank

sharkman

Thanks everyone for comments. The guy that works on my rods is going to stress test the remaining section of the blank to make sure its not going to break anywhere else. He seems to think that who ever built the rod the first time must have nicked the blank.

Cor

Every piece of a rod becomes useful sometime.   Often to make a new shorter rod or to make an insert or sleeve to repair a broken rod!   I even make ferrules for joins on 2 piece rods.

Much of this is a work of love and does not really pay though.
Cornelis

happyhooker

Quote from: Cor on May 07, 2019, 11:07:03 AM
Every piece of a rod becomes useful sometime.   Often to make a new shorter rod or to make an insert or sleeve to repair a broken rod!   I even make ferrules for joins on 2 piece rods.

Much of this is a work of love and does not really pay though.

There is satisfaction in making something out of very little or nothing.

Frank

SoCalAngler

To me that looks just like stock Ugly Stik by the colors of the wraps and the clear tip. I'm thinking if it had a wood dowel inserted to lengthen the blank then someone tried to make a custom rod out of a shorter blank. I would love to see the butt section pics where the dowel went in to determine that.

To me if a rod breaks at the reel seat then it is pretty much trash. If it broke mid way through the rod strip off the reel seat any remaining line guides and you can cut off the grips if you want, insert a large hook and re-wrap to make a short gaff for smaller fish.

The time and money spent to do anything else is... well up to you. But, in my mind why throw money or time into something you may not use?

To me I'd just chalk it up something ventured that didn't pay out as well as you hoped. Nothing more or nothing less.

This is not meant to you sharkman, but anyone buying a used rod needs to do a full load test, meaning pulling several times on a rod with the amount of drag, or even a bit more you intend to use on that rod.