Will 710z spool work on a 710 greenie

Started by 1badf350, March 02, 2019, 06:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Hi guys, just wondering if a 710Z spool will work on a 710 Greenie?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

RUSTY OLD COLT

almost all of the  710 and 710Z parts interchange . I think there was a change in the bails but if you use the rotor that matches the bail arm you can swap them over. I have converted 710 reels to 712 reels just by replacing the complete rotor and spool assemblies. Years ago there was a conversion kit to eliminate the bail and convert to a manual bail similar to the 706 penn .

George6308

The gear cases on both reels are the same. Gears are different between the 712 & 710, however 712 gears drop in the 710 making a little faster retreive. There  are two different rotor cups for the 710.  The difference is in the size of the bail arm nut. Penn at one time did make a manual bail conversation kit. Some use Garcia parts to make their 710's manual bail. The factory handles are different, 710's longer than the 712's but they are interchangeable.
I have not been able to locate a silver metal 710 spool to match the "greenies" and use the gold Aluminium spool.
712 uses a completely different bail set up with a different rotor cup and the 712 spools will not fit the 710's.
One of the 710's pictured on the left side has 712 gears and it is or was a Greenie until I refinished it with flat black Brownell's Aium-Hyde. The other two were refinished with semi-gloss black Alum-Hyde.