Smoked/Braised Chucks with Grilled Veggies

Started by ChileRelleno, March 02, 2019, 07:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Smoked/Braised Chucks with Grilled Veggies

I bought two nice 4lb+ Publix Greenwise Choice Angus Chucks not knowing exactly what I was gonna do with them.

After some considering I decided to go a route I've not traveled before and to first smoke them and then finish by braising.
And I decided to take it a step by pairing the beef with grilled veggies.

To start the cook I injected the Chucks with a Cajun spiced beef broth marinade and gave them a conservative dusting of Cajun spice mix.
Then I let them brine overnight.

Into a 260°-280° smoker over Cherry, and brought to an IT of 150°

While the Chucks were smoking I grilled a mess of onions, carrots, potatoes and celery.

Meat and veggies then got a dusting of Lipton Onion Soup mix, and finally bathed in a mix of beef broth, beef gravy and Golden Mushroom soup.

Tightly covered with foil and into a 300° oven till it is fork tender.

Stay tuned Chuck fans.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Caranx

Looks delicious!
Ever try using the cast iron Dutch ovens? Too small for chucks?

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Caranx on March 03, 2019, 01:29:53 PM
Looks delicious!
Ever try using the cast iron Dutch ovens? Too small for chucks?
I use them often.
But too small for two 4lb chucks, veggies and gravy.
Ragnar Benson:

Alto Mare

Look good John, thanks for sharing your culinary talent.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks Chili,  this is a great looking meal.  You always make me drool.   How much do you weigh???? ;D