Opinions on DuPont™ Products for Reel Use...

Started by Taskmaster, March 04, 2019, 02:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taskmaster

Was curious what everyone's opinions were of the DuPont™ products?

• DuPont™ Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon® Fluoropolymer
  • DuPont™ Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant with Teflon® Fluoropolymer
  • DuPont™ Marine Waterproof Grease with Teflon® Fluoropolymer
  • DuPont™ White Lithium Grease with Teflon® Fluoropolymer
  • DuPont™ Penetrant with Teflon® Fluoropolymer
  • DuPont® Chain & Sprocket Degreaser

alantani

not something i've ever used.  is there a particular reason you are looking at them?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Taskmaster

Hi Alan.
I've used DuPont™ Products, before and on other items, but never on reel maintenance.  So I was not sure how they stacked up against the current go to products that everyone is using.

For instance the below product in comparison to Yamaha Blue marine grease.
DuPont™ Marine Waterproof Grease with Teflon® Fluoropolymer

DuPont™ Marine Waterproof Grease with Teflon® Fluoropolymer provides exceptional mechanical stability and extremely high load-carrying properties. It also offers excellent resistance to both freshwater and saltwater, as well as outstanding oxidation and corrosion protection. Just as important, this product does not contain heavy metals, phosphorous, chlorine, zinc, antimony, barium or lead.

Excellent resistance to freshwater and saltwaterLow water washout (<1%)
Outstanding protection against oxidation and corrosion
Recommended for extreme pressures and shock loads, extreme temperatures and continuous vibration
Meets NLGI Service Classification GC-LB (ASTM D-4950)
Dropping point in excess of 572ºF (300ºC)
Operating temperature range: -10ºF (-23ºC) to 350ºF (177ºC)
To minimize the threat of grease compatibility issues, always remove old grease before applying new grease

Applications:
Boat trailer and disc brake wheel bearingsPropeller shaft splinesLocknut threadsBattery posts, hitch balls, steering cables, throttle linkages, tilt lock mechanisms, U-joints and hinge pins

alantani

i used to get requests to evaluate other products all the time, but i just had to start saying no.  most of the time these people are just looking for endorsements and are more interested in promoting sales.  that really takes years of working with something to really even get an impression, just a general feel, for the product.  

if you have the stuff laying around already, go ahead and give it a try, but we really have no objective way of measuring the performance of various products.  there are some basic parameters, but they are basically "negatves," like you avoid corrosion.  any grease will do this.  for the most part, i see claims for various products all the time.   for the most part, these claims are meaningless.  

QuoteExcellent resistance to freshwater and saltwaterLow water washout (<1%)
Outstanding protection against oxidation and corrosion

personally, i use four products -

yamaha marine all purpose grease - i started using this product because the engineers at yamaha use this product for their outboard motors.  i'm figuring these guys want to use the best stuff they can find and they are certainly going to have more experience with salt water corrosion than most other people.

pure teflon grease for drag washers - i first used the shimano drag grease, deferring to the engineers at shimano, then grudgingly switched over to cal's grease because it was half the price and have stayed with cal's.  likely, any pure teflon grease would work fine.

TSI 301 and TSI 321 - this stuff is slicker than snot.  i found that it lasted at least a year with my own reels when used as a bearing lube.  other products pooped out after 6 months.  jim nomura is credited with bring this stuff to my attention.  a guy at the company says that the us secret service uses this stuff for the firearms.

corrosion x - for an all purpose medium oil, i still use this.  for bearings, i found that it slowed down in 6 months, so i stopped using it for bearings.  as a general all purpose aerosol spray for rod and the outsides of reels, it's my favorite.  i always bring a small aerosol can with me on my long range trips to spray my reels at the end of the trip.  the reels get rinsed off in fresh water, towel dried, then carefully sprayed with corrosion x, wiped down again and bagged.   been my routine for quite a while.  

i doubt that dupont would have a specific interest in entering the fishing reel market.  if they wanted to do so, i see only one way.  they would have to price everything well below all of their competitors.  the stuff we have is relatively cheap.  actually, the products are so cheap and they work so well, that i can't see a reason to buy a product that would be more expensive and didn't work any better.   :-\

Taskmaster

Thanks Alan for the clarification.  Not promoting anything DuPont.  Just figured someone on here probably tried it at some point and if the performance was the same or less than the others then I could save myself the extra dollars and not buy it.  There are plenty of other things I can spend the money on.   ;D

alantani

if you already have the stuff, give it a try!

RowdyW

I use the Duponts Teflon Marine Grease on carbon fiber drag washers. It works just as good & lasts just as long as Cal's. At about $8.00 a 16 oz. can it's 1/3 the price of Cal's. JMO           Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

Pretty much the same here Rudy - I use a Teflon based marine grease from a British company (easily available this side of the pond - fraction of the price of Cals). Except I use it for everything, except spool bearings that need to spin TSI321. One grease - one oil - it just simpifies my life :)

Donnyboat

Thanks for the follow up Rudy, nice the know, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Taskmaster

Quote from: RowdyW on March 04, 2019, 05:03:09 PM
I use the Duponts Teflon Marine Grease on carbon fiber drag washers. It works just as good & lasts just as long as Cal's. At about $8.00 a 16 oz. can it's 1/3 the price of Cal's. JMO           Rudy
Thanks Rudy.

Taskmaster

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 04, 2019, 07:06:29 PM
Pretty much the same here Rudy - I use a Teflon based marine grease from a British company (easily available this side of the pond - fraction of the price of Cals). Except I use it for everything, except spool bearings that need to spin TSI321. One grease - one oil - it just simpifies my life :)
Thanks Tiddlerbasher