Penn 4300SS Disassembled On Video

Started by The Fishing Hobby, March 05, 2019, 01:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Hey guys, I posted this video the other day. Thought it may be useful to someone at some point so I'm just going to drop it right here.
Tight lines!

foakes

Well done tutorial, Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

Thanks Fred. Loving the Microlite BTW, you do 1st class work 👍

foakes

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on March 05, 2019, 02:07:48 AM
Thanks Fred. Loving the Microlite BTW, you do 1st class work 👍

Yes, those DAM Quick 265's are one of the finest Microlite reels I know of for longevity and capability — plus very light, tough, with smooth lines — and an aluminum spool.

The combination of energy transfer, materials that compliment each other in a functional way, plus dead-simple thought and engineering — is over the top, IMO.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Great video, wish this had come out before I went through my 4200SS!  And I swear by the white towel, you may not have thought it made an interesting background for the video but it made everything easy to see which is why I use one for my work space.  Thanks for the video!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Brewcrafter on March 05, 2019, 03:16:30 AM
Great video, wish this had come out before I went through my 4200SS!  And I swear by the white towel, you may not have thought it made an interesting background for the video but it made everything easy to see which is why I use one for my work space.  Thanks for the video!
Thank you for the feedback!

Midway Tommy

Nice video & well done on the purchase, too!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 05, 2019, 04:19:51 AM
Nice video & well done on the purchase, too!
Thanks! It said it was for parts or repair... everything worked perfectly on it when I got it. Sometimes you get lucky! It is a very nice little reel, very happy with it.

The Fishing Hobby

BTW Tommy, I may need your help identifying a Zebco Cardinal I picked up. Still using the C3's and C4's I picked up along the way based on your recommendations.
This is my first of the cupped rotor Cardinals I've bought. The tag was off of it. Looks like it is a 4 based on my guestimate but not 100% positive on that.

festus

Great tutorial. You got a good deal. I saw one of these 4300SS go for over $51 plus shipping earlier tonight.

The Fishing Hobby

Thank you! That was a good deal for sure.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on March 05, 2019, 04:28:56 AM
BTW Tommy, I may need your help identifying a Zebco Cardinal I picked up. Still using the C3's and C4's I picked up along the way based on your recommendations.
This is my first of the cupped rotor Cardinals I've bought. The tag was off of it. Looks like it is a 4 based on my guestimate but not 100% positive on that.

Glad you are enjoying those C3 & 4s, theyre great little reels! ;D

It's usually easy at first glance. I've picked up a couple of 3s for a song along the way because the badge was missing & the seller had no idea what they had. The drag knob, if original, tells the story. The 3 knob is smaller and has fine, close together, ribs. The 4 has a larger knob with larger ribs. Once you've seen the difference there's no mistaking them, although there was a 3 green counterfeit replacement that is just like the 4 but fits the 3. The cashings are different so a 4 knob will not fit on a 3 cashing correctly.  Also, all 3s' spools have a flat release button, as do some 4s, but if it has a nipple type button it a 4. I'll add a couple of examples, the 3 Franken reel I just purchased & restored and a 4, below. Stick a couple of photos on & I'll make an assessment.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

The Fishing Hobby

I think it is probably a 4 then thanks to your info! Here are a couple of pictures. I haven't done anything to it yet so please excuse my mess.

Midway Tommy

Yes, Kevin, it's a 4. It originally had a green background medallion. 

Get that mono off of it as soon as possible and make sure it has a cork or red plastic line filler, or dacron backing, and don't store it in ultra cold weather. I max them, 3s & 4s at 110-120 yds of mono. Mono stretches and then contracts in extreme cold temps. That and leaving them exposed to excessive sun weakens the plastic and promotes the front of the spool popping off. The plastic spool issue is really the only weak link on a Cardinal 4. You can now buy aluminum spools for them for around $30-35.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

The Fishing Hobby