STAR DRAG ON SPINNERS

Started by Alto Mare, September 25, 2011, 04:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Guys check this out, someone is selling this Daiwa Seabird SD-2 on ebay for $516. I have never seen or heard of anything like this, is there anyone here that owns one? I would love to find out on how it performs. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Never seen anything like it Sal - love to have a look inside though!
Seems a mighty big price tag, but it's certainly unique...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Moi

Mate,
I just bought one from Ebay as a gift for a friend, bot the spool will not rotate to allow line to peel off.
It seems to be locked by a key way.
Any ideas please?

Alto Mare

Wow, this was posted a long time ago. I have never seen the inner side on this reel and looked around with no luck.
The first thing I would do is to give it a good cleaning and reassemble it. While doing so, I would pay close attention to the drag mechanism and see if all is in order, or make sense to me .
Let us know what you'll find.
Post a pic or two when opened ...if you can.

Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

So, the spool  does not turn and only goes in and out.  Only the rotor turns.  When pulling drag, the rotor, and gears are all turning and the spool is going in and out.  The AR keeps the handle from turning backward and the star drag allows everything else to move.  I could live with that.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on July 07, 2017, 08:42:52 PM
So, the spool  does not turn and only goes in and out.  Only the rotor turns.  When pulling drag, the rotor, and gears are all turning and the spool is going in and out.  The AR keeps the handle from turning backward and the star drag allows everything else to move.  I could live with that.
-steve
I don't get what you're saying Steve. If the spool doesn't rotate, your drags are not working. When the fish takes the line a the spool does not go in and out it only rotates until you make adjustment to your drag and find the balance.
That reel as Moi has described is not fishable.
I'm thinking its an easy fix, it probably only needs a good cleaning.
Since the star is on top of the handle, maybe the handle has something to do with it?

oc1

Hi Sal.  My guess was that a fish pulling drag would rotate the rotor backward with the bail engaged.  It would be like locking the drag and closing the bail on a normal spinner and playing the fish knuckle-buster style with the AR turned off.  The rotor would turn backward, the gears would turn backward, the crosswind arm would still push the spool in and out like it was laying line, even though line was being taken out by the fish.  However, on this reel, instead of the handle turning backward knuckle-buster style when playing out line, the handle and a sleeve would be held by the AR and the star drag would allow everything else to turn backward and play out line.  Instead of the spool drag being locked down, in this reel the spool is permanently fixed in place.  The drag comes for the star drag and washers in the main gear, not washers in the spool.  To cast, just open the bail as usual.
-steve

alantani

i think it's a jack-a-lope........  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2017, 01:27:53 PM

That was my first thought also.

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on July 07, 2017, 11:35:28 PM
Hi Sal.  My guess was that a fish pulling drag would rotate the rotor backward with the bail engaged.  It would be like locking the drag and closing the bail on a normal spinner and playing the fish knuckle-buster style with the AR turned off.  The rotor would turn backward, the gears would turn backward, the crosswind arm would still push the spool in and out like it was laying line, even though line was being taken out by the fish.  However, on this reel, instead of the handle turning backward knuckle-buster style when playing out line, the handle and a sleeve would be held by the AR and the star drag would allow everything else to turn backward and play out line.  Instead of the spool drag being locked down, in this reel the spool is permanently fixed in place.  The drag comes for the star drag and washers in the main gear, not washers in the spool.  To cast, just open the bail as usual.
-steve
Oh, now I see what you mean Steve, that would make sense.

Sal
Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2017, 01:27:53 PM
:D  ...yep, that it is  ;D

foakes

Yeah, Steve is correct --

All this is, is a drive train drag -- that engages and disengages the drivetrain.

The rotor and line guide would end up being the rotating part that slowed the line outfeed -- as the drivetrain is locked down less or more.

The drag washers in the crank would engage and disengage the drive train -- and at least in principle, similar to a drive belt clutch system on a snowmobile that transfers power from the engine to the track via a friction clutch affair.

Really, pretty ingenious.

I am with Sal -- like to have a schematic or one on the bench to study.

Looked theough a few old shop manuals from 25 years ago -- no mention.  Have a few more to look through out in the other shop.

There are a bunch of old oddball star drag spincast reels out in some of the old bins -- but I have never seen this on a spinning reel before.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

This reel reminds me of the Plueger Pelican that you sent me a while back, thanks again Fred.
On this reel the spool oscillates, on the Pelican, the rotor does...another interesting design on that Pflueger.
Obviously two different reels, but having some same functions.
I'm glad this thread was brought back, maybe now we'll get lucky with finding the schematics.

Sal

foakes

Found 2 or 3 more of those old Pelicans out in the bone boxes from decades ago tackle shops, Sal --

I think yours had a box though -- these are just loose.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

I suspect that right angle before getting to the drag stack forces some tradeoffs in drivetrain strength and drag smoothness.

foakes

Quote from: mike1010 on July 08, 2017, 05:11:04 PM
I suspect that right angle before getting to the drag stack forces some tradeoffs in drivetrain strength and drag smoothness.

True, Mike --

However, I also suspect this reel has two sets of drags -- one stack in the spool, as usual -- then another drag system in the crank for quicker and stronger adjustments when a large fish is on.

One could be a pre-set -- and the star is an additional strong drag -- as conditions dictate.

I'm heading out to the outside shop to dig through the older shop manuals.

Likely will not find anything though -- this was a very limited production model -- and possibly only an Asian and Europeon release -- not US.

Best,

Fred

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.