Video: How to make your own washers...

Started by The Fishing Hobby, March 05, 2019, 11:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

I thought some of you may find this useful for making shim or even drag washers. This technique makes it possible to make a large quantity of washers quickly and easily but it does require the use of a lathe. I suppose if you got creative you could make the setup work vertically in a drill press as well. I just uploaded it today and wanted to share it here in case some of you could make use of this method!

Reel 224

Good advice and good innovation with simple methods. Thanks for showing you work.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 05, 2019, 11:18:41 PM
Good advice and good innovation with simple methods. Thanks for showing you work.

Joe 
Thank you!

The Fishing Hobby

Just a quick safety note, some materials like carbon fiber may require a respirator when you machine them. A comment was left on the video pointing this out and I must admit I hadn't thought about it. I made a note of that warning in the description of the video but I wanted it noted here as well.

foakes

Thanks, Kevin!

Great ideas and tutorial.

Opens up a lot of possibilities...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Nice.  I loved the video.  Now I have to have a lathe.   ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

The Fishing Hobby

Lathes shouldn't be too hard to find in your area! I rebuilt the lathe I used in this video. It was a rough looking one I found on Craigslist for a great price. Rebuilding a used one helps you learn more about the lathe and how it all works too! This isn't the first or only lathe I own, but I really like it a lot.
It wasn't pretty when I picked it up but it sure looks nice now!

Robert Janssen

EMCO Compact 8... the color sort of gives it away. I used to have one m'self; that's sort of what I learned on. Made a lot of reel parts on it. Great little machine to have around.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Robert Janssen on March 06, 2019, 05:40:21 AM
EMCO Compact 8... the color sort of gives it away. I used to have one m'self; that's sort of what I learned on. Made a lot of reel parts on it. Great little machine to have around.
I really like it. My first metal turning lathe was a little 7x10 Harbor Freight model and I only use it for dirty work like grinding operations now. The C8 is an accurate little lathe. Probably considered a toy by a real machinist due to its size and 110v motor, but it is capable of producing accurate quality work within its limits. Too bad that some of the parts (like chucks) aren't more standard and easily available.