Fin Nor Offshore 9500OS - standard servicing

Started by redsetta, September 25, 2011, 10:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Agreed SC - they're pretty strong overall (if a little heavy), but the pawl spring let's it down if ill-maintained or over-greased...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Three se7ens

I had one that I sold a while back. I just didn't trust that little tiny oscillation block. My much smaller fin nor Sportfisher 60 had a significantly larger oscillation block, and handled 15 lbs of drag better than the ofs7500. That oscillation block is what transfers all of the drag force to the body of the reel, and the wings and the thin stamped plate that locks it to the shaft kept bending on me with the ofs7500, even at low drag settings.

I think it's a decent reel for 20-25 lb mono where you need lots of line capacity, but I don't think it's up to par for braided lines.   All that weight, the SS gearing, and well designed drag just seem kinda pointless when such an important part is so weak.

saltydog

I have been using a 60 for two years and have had no problem with them if they are fished with some common cents. They say 60# of drag but anyone who has fished spinning reels knows that that is a little white lie to catch fisherman not fish. I have fished mine with 50# braid and 10-15# of drag and have never had a failure, even of an 8' Hammerhead and many tuna to there credit. I don't see failures of my customers reels either.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Jason Groombridge

G'day,

I've serviced a couple of these reels in different sizes now. One had been completely immersed in salt water and then not given to me until 3 months later and the other had just seen normal use but no servicing.

The main issues with these reels are the AR dog and the drag under the spool. Both I saw had the AR dog bound up with salt and not working. If they had been properly pre-serviced it wouldn't have been an issue.

Both the reels I saw had corrosion between the large stainless steel drag washer and the spool. Obviously because one was immersed lots of salt water got in there and caused some serious corrosion of the aluminium. The second reel was not as bad but still had corrosion there. Greasing the drag would obviously help a lot here.

I don't mind these reels, I think they are pretty good value for money and pretty solid. They just need a good pre-fish service. But then what reel doesn't benefit from that?

Cheers

Jason

Wolli

i replace the canvas washers for increased performance and more drag with cf washers
dimensions: 3pcs 9x23x1 mm, 1pc 10x58x1 mm
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

NovaSS

i have a 9500os spooled with 80lb braid and I like it a little more then my penn usa 9500. i like it most because i can put 500+ yards of 80 braid on a spinning reel. I use it for surf casting shark reel. Ive caught a few 40lb bull red fish and they dont put up that much of a fight on this reel. I also used it last year for snatching gator on a gator hunt and it preformed well. when i bought this reel i was told the only thing it wont hold up to is jigging because of the anti reverse.

Wolli

du to the click click of the anti reverse its not recommende for jigging.
Thats why i sold the reel to a catfish angler.
But its one of the strongest spinners on the market i had in my hands.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

basto

I like the anti reverse system on these reels. It is the same friction wheel type that Avet now use and Okuma on their Makaira reels.
The pawl is massive and the position of the ratchet on the rim of the rotor is a much better position than at the centre of the rotor because it puts less force on the pawl.

These reels also have stainless main and pinion gears.
I like!!!
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

FatTuna

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a little bit of play on the anti reverse pawl? The one I'm working on has a little bit of  verticle movement. It also makes a slight ticking noise as the rotor spins. Im not talking about the backplay when the dog engages but as you are reeling the reel. Is this normal as the pawl is ticking against the inside of the rotor ? 

Cooky

Hello all, this is my first post, I own 2 Fin Nor 9500 and am having drag problems where as the line is being stripped from spool the drag knob turns with spool and tightens drag, so much that drag is so tight that my 80lb braid is breaking , i have spoken with fin nor and they will replace spools and drag knobs, any other ideas on why this is happening, they are both brand new.
regards cooky

cbar45

Hello,

The drag stack is sitting too low, so when you tighten the knob its underside catches the spool--resulting in them turning together as a unit.

I've seen this on a few of the Offshore series. One fix is to add a smaller keyed drag washer (metal) to the top of the stack.

This allows the drag knob to sit slightly higher up and avoid catching on the spool.

A Penn 710 keyed metal washer will fit the Offshore 4500/5500 reels, but I'm not sure about the larger sizes.

Chad

cbar45

P.S.

The added washer is more of a spacer and does not need to be the same diameter as the ones you already have.

It just needs to be keyed to fit your spool shaft, as well as thick enough to prevent drag knob from touching the spool at full lock.

Another, probably easier, option may be the addition of a soft washer to the bottom of the stack in order to get the same results.

It all depends on how much room you have to work with, as the retaining ring won't fit if the stack is too high.

Such was my case, and so I opted for a smaller metal washer at the top of the stack--basically an extension of the drag knob downwards.

Chad

exp2000

The A/R pawl design on these reels is really primitive. It is a pretty unreliable design normally found on cheaper reels.

With SS gears, these reels are built like tanks. Alan Hawk states they are the strongest reels available for under U$300 making them a popular choice for our local blue water charter boats. They are cheap enough that many just replace them when they eventually stop working.

Most fishos here completely abuse them. They spool them with "rope" and use them to winch things off the bottom before the sharks can nail them.

The general quality is far superior to that of a Spinfisher.

Apart from the A/R pawl, the main weakness in these reels is the lack of proper bearing lubrication making them vulnerable to corrosion and seizure.

They would benefit greatly from a proper bearing lube before being put into service.
~

jason_purdy

Justin,

Great tutorial! I've got a 7500OS and 9500OS and this makes it a lot less intimidating to crack them open. Thanks!

-Jason

redsetta

Glad to be of service Jason.
Let us know if you have any queries.
All the best, Justin
PS Welcome aboard!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer