Penn 2000 baitcaster 2-speed automatic low profile reel

Started by steelfish, March 06, 2019, 02:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

got this unique reel from a fellow at.com guy recently, I didnt found much pictures or information, reviews or anything alike about this reel searching on the www so, I thought I will post some detailed pictures of the reel for future references, I havent used the reel or opened yet, so, Im not posting pictures of the internal parts (yet), still havent decided to leave it like that along the other shelf queens reels or perform a deep service on it, If I decide to service it I will post some more pictures later.
for now I will just post some pictures of the reel because this reel deserve to be known by the big penn family guys on at.com

the squematics you can find them on with our friends of Mystic parts (I think they need to fix the links of the "order parts" and "line cap & info" )
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennBaitcasting.aspx#specs

I like how you can lift the hood to untangle the line or to put the line through the linewind

if you puch the small buttom on the righ sideplate it will set the reel on free spool to cast the line and it will back into gear when you turn the handle, just like most of the current baitcasting and lowprofile reels, but what its completely different is the the big button on the back, its also put the reel in free spool if you push it but you have to keep the finger pushing the buttom to keep the reel in free spool, as soon as you lift your finger the reel goes back to gear instantaly.

the 2-speed gears get activated by the amount of drag set, I havent tried this yet so, dont ask me how it works  ;D
The Baja Guy

steelfish

another pics and part of the Manual

No USA made, but Japan made,  nice

The Baja Guy

steelfish

low speed and high speed are set with the drag on the star and that "speed shifter" knob 
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Thanks for sharing that reel.  I never saw one of those.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

I have one too Alex, don't think it's ever seen water. I haven't fished with it so don't know how well it works. That free spool lever that engages when released is for flipping I think. A lot of features on it. I'm thinking I'll try it this year but a little Leary of how it will hold up in the salt. Not looking forward to taking it apart but probably should, all the factory grease has likely gotten pretty funky.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on March 06, 2019, 04:13:53 AM
I Not looking forward to taking it apart but probably should..

my exact feelings also.

too many features in this little reel, probably too many small parts
The Baja Guy

chockpish

I have a two speed Abu Garcia Ambassadeur! I've fished quite a few times! It's works well! The way mine works, if there is no load on the line during retrieve, it will be at a 5.8 to 1 I think? But when you have a fish on it shifts to the second gear ratio with is 4.8 to one? My memory isn't that good anymore! If you do take it apart? Be careful of the flipping switch mechanism! I remember reading a post in Tackle Tour forum that this kind of mechanism can be a bit of a bear to take apart and to put back together! Also I think they mentioned something about parts flying into never never land! So be careful in taking them apart for cleaning! But these reels work well!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Benni3

Just seen this,,,,,, :o if you Google "penn-new for 2020 low profile reels" after almost 40years there back,,,,, ;) but there a abu revo with ht-100's,,,,,maybe,,,,,,,,, ;D

steelfish

Quote from: Benni3 on July 09, 2020, 03:24:49 PM
Just seen this,,,,,, :o if you Google "penn-new for 2020 low profile reels" after almost 40years there back,,,,, ;) but there a abu revo with ht-100's,,,,,maybe,,,,,,,,, ;D

thaks amigo Benni for the headsup on the new 2020 low profile reels from Penn, some one said that since Pure Fishing is owning Penn and ABU Garcia, didnt want both brands to compete theyselves, so Penn brand wasnt interested on marketing reels on his brand, but seems they want now to be on the competition with the rest of the fishing brands as shimano, daiwa, okuma

the prototypes of the new Penn Fathom 400 size lowprofile reels resemble a lot (I might call it IDENTICAL) to the REVO Toro 60 lineup of reels from abu Garcia, pretty sure they will be the same reel, so, it will end up on which brand you are a fanboy 

https://wonews.com/penn-announces-new-fathom-saltwater-baitcaster/

check by yourself, 1st is the new fathom 400  and 2nd pic Abu Toro beast 60  both are 2020 lineup

PS: Im more ABU Garcia Fanboy than Penn but dont tell anyone  ;) ;)
The Baja Guy

mo65

That new Fathom looks great...the specs read nice too. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

the abu w/ the penn handle in a lefty might be nice :D

Ron Jones

I like the Penn's handle. May sound silly, but if a hook gets tied up in it the big hole is easier to straighten out.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"