Building DQ’s from Parts & Full Restores

Started by foakes, May 28, 2019, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Knowing that this may sound corny to some — however, every reel I work on is not just a job to get through as fast as possible — it is a pleasure as well as a labor of love.

It is not done until it is right — and that means, would I be fully satisfied fishing it myself?

Are all systems, screws, friction points, new parts, old polished parts, nuts, and functions — checked, and double checked again before bagging and sending back to the owner?

There is a certain amount of accomplishment as well as pride in a job well done.  This keeps me going.

Just got back from 4 days in Lake Tahoe with my wife.  Before leaving, I completed 18 DQ reels Monday through Thursday.

5 were new builds, 13 were restorations on reels likely not cracked open in 30 years —

Paint, polish, parts, modern lubes, and fine tuning — all come into play..

Some were so bad from salt-fusing and rust — that parts needed to be cut off before restoration was even possible.

All patients came through with flying colors.

Backlog is down below 100 now — starting a new week.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on May 28, 2019, 06:07:08 PM
Backlog is down below 100 now — starting a new week.

You're a machine Fred. I doubt I could live long enough to complete a backlog of 100. Thanks for all you do! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Great work, Fred.  Looks like the 330N will be or was a challenge.  I thought I'd seen some distorted ratchet clickers.  ???

foakes

Quote from: festus on May 28, 2019, 06:56:38 PM
Great work, Fred.  Looks like the 330N will be or was a challenge.  I thought I'd seen some distorted ratchet clickers.  ???

That was me, Chester —

This reel, and a couple of the others were used in salt — then not serviced or cleaned afterwards. Just allowed to rust and fuse/weld into non-moveable parts.

I needed to cut off the spool sleeve, drag knob, clicker, and then found out the spool shaft was bent, rusted to the inside of the sleeve and release button.  All I could save was the spool, itself.  Everything else in the assembly needed to be replaced.

Works better than new now — but it was a 6 hour job, not counting new paint.

I think they were reels that the owner's wife bought for him from yard or second hand store sources.

Anyway, some jobs are easier than others — some a little tougher...no big deal.  Just take them as they come. Someday, I might run across a DQ that cannot be saved — so far, out of a few thousand — still batting 1000.  To be honest, without my parts inventory — this would not be the case.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on May 28, 2019, 08:38:13 PM
Quote from: festus on May 28, 2019, 06:56:38 PM

That was me, Chester —

This reel, and a couple of the others were used in salt — then not serviced or cleaned afterwards. Just allowed to rust and fuse/weld into non-moveable parts.

I needed to cut off the spool sleeve, drag knob, clicker, and then found out the spool shaft was bent, rusted to the inside of the sleeve and release button.  All I could save was the spool, itself.  Everything else in the assembly needed to be replaced.

Works better than new now — but it was a 6 hour job, not counting new paint.

I think they were reels that the owner's wife bought for him from yard or second hand store sources.

Anyway, some jobs are easier than others — some a little tougher...no big deal.  Just take them as they come. Someday, I might run across a DQ that cannot be saved — so far, out of a few thousand — still batting 1000.  To be honest, without my parts inventory — this would not be the case.

Best,

Fred
It sure helps to have plenty of spare parts.  I've accumulated a fair amount in the past year and a half.  A while back I couldn't get the rolled pin from the handle out of a D-A-M Quick, I don't remember if it was a 330, 331, or a Finessa. What did I do?  Just took a hacksaw and cut the drive axle in two.  ;D Got everything out and cleaned and parts replaced from other reels.  Still haven't gotten that stubborn rolled pin out, however.  ::)

happyhooker

There's nothing wrong with pride in workmanship, whether it's building a wood toolbox, building the best burger in town, or, building (rebuilding) a reel right.

Frank