Tennis balls for casting practice

Started by Bill Karr, March 07, 2019, 12:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Karr

There are a couple of mentions of using tennis balls for casting practice. Also a couple of mentions of putting weights inside them. Anyone have an idea on how to do this?
Bill

Tiddlerbasher

When I used to practice for beach casting (on a field) I would cut a small hole in a tennis ball - just big enough to squeeze in a 5 or 6oz lead. For me the purpose of the tennis ball was to stop the lead burying itself in the soft ground. It also simulated (kind of :-\) a bait and weight scenario, because the tennis ball provided quite a bit of air resistance.
The only beach fishing I do these days is spinning. My back and arms are not up to the job of chucking 6oz over 100yds  :( Growing old ain't for the faint hearted :D

1badf350

Quote from: Bill Karr on March 07, 2019, 12:11:03 AM
There are a couple of mentions of using tennis balls for casting practice. Also a couple of mentions of putting weights inside them. Anyone have an idea on how to do this?

Seriously though, heres how I do it.
Cut a slit on one side large enough to push a sinker through.
Opposite of the slit, cut a small hole.
Push your line (with snap swivel) thru the small hole and out the slit.
Attach your sinker and pull back thru the slit.
The sinker should now be securely situated inside the ball with the snap swivel protruding from the top.
This keeps the tennis ball and sinker from separating on impact with the ground.
I learned after having to retrieve a few
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Gobi King

How about using some large bolts or nuts from the recycle bin.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

CapeFish

You can also use a hockey ball. I think it weighs about 6oz. Driĺl a hole through and fit an eyed bolt

Reel Newbie

Tie 6 spark plugs together? Each one weighs abou 1 1/2 ounces.

steelfish

I used to use the tennis ball for practice long cast for surf fishing

on my understanding and agree with "tiddlerbasher" tennis ball simulate a bit the air resistance of the bait, but most important it will help to avoid any injuries to yourself or any person at your side or surroundies like houses, cars, etc.
specially if you are trying to cast to the moon with 6-8 oz and 12-13ft long surf fishing rods and practicing those powerful cast of OTG (off the ground) or pendulum, at first you might cast the lead / ball to non desirable places or might have the line break at mid-cast and lead might cause serious injuries to someone or seriuos damage to a property, so its better to use the tennis ball as protection at least until you find the correct way to make them right.

if you are casting with 8-9ft rod and 3-4oz that represent no much of a problem.

The Baja Guy

Fishy247

Not only does this make sense for casting practice, but it also seems like it might be a fun way to mess with your dog....

Tiddlerbasher

I don't think my dog can see that far ;D ;D
And he certainly wouldn't want to run that far LOL

Fishy247

QuoteI don't think my dog can see that far Grin Grin
And he certainly wouldn't want to run that far LOL

Sounds like it would be perfect then! :D

Gobi King

ahh, not hit someone, good point, lol.
Ok the air resistance thing makes sense, then it will mimic a lure, how about those irons?

I need to practice 2 handed casts with a long rod, I get nervous and I try to rush it ending a splash few yards in front of me.

Any newbie to do for 2 handed long rod casting? thought I would cover it also while were on the topic  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Fishy247

What are you going to be casting? For heavy irons, I like the weight in the tennis ball idea. For light irons, swimbaits, and plugs, use just the tennis ball. For casting bait, a comparable sized clothespin works great. If you can get it to pinch the line, even better, because you'll learn to not cast your bait off.

Bill Karr

Thanks Everyone. Great input. I don't know why I couldn't figure it out-really simple.
Bill

drumbum

Quote from: Gobi King on March 08, 2019, 07:54:21 PM
ahh, not hit someone, good point, lol.
Ok the air resistance thing makes sense, then it will mimic a lure, how about those irons?

I need to practice 2 handed casts with a long rod, I get nervous and I try to rush it ending a splash few yards in front of me.

Any newbie to do for 2 handed long rod casting? thought I would cover it also while were on the topic  ;D
[/quote
]

Practice the aerialized unitech or off the beach cast.  Straight overhead is safest on a crowded beach.