original asbestos washer stuck, need help!

Started by Darin Crofton, March 08, 2019, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

I have a penn 113h with a steel main gear, the original washer that goes in first is stuck to the main gear, I've soaked it 24 hours in vinegar and then 24 hours in mineral spirits and it still won't come out. Trying to scrape it out is like pulling teeth, any suggestions to help this challenged newbie out???
Thank you in advance!
Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Maxed Out

Try putting the gear upside down and stick a screwdriver on the edge of the stuck washer and tap with hammer
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 08, 2019, 01:35:07 AM

Try putting the gear upside down and stick a screwdriver on the edge of the stuck washer and tap with hammer
I've tried that, but it won't work, has before on another one but not this stubborn bas!*#d

thorhammer

Darin Crofton

Quote from: thorhammer on March 08, 2019, 02:44:37 AM
dremel
Aha, didn't think of that, I just got my first one and some tungsten bits, off I go...
Thank you guys for the great suggestions!!!

foakes

Be careful with those tungsten bits, Darin — they could chew up the inside of the gear.

If I get a real tough one (had one today) — I use an "L" shaped HD pick from Craftsman.

I set the gear on edge — then insert the point of the pick between the drag and the gear — then just tap it with a small hammer.

If it doesn't pop right out — it will come apart.  And whatever is left after this method can be Dremeled smooth with a steel wire wheel.  USE EYE PROTECTION...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: foakes on March 08, 2019, 06:09:15 AM
Be careful with those tungsten bits, Darin — they could chew up the inside of the gear.

If I get a real tough one (had one today) — I use an "L" shaped HD pick from Craftsman.

I set the gear on edge — then insert the point of the pick between the drag and the gear — then just tap it with a small hammer.

If it doesn't pop right out — it will come apart.  And whatever is left after this method can be Dremeled smooth with a steel wire wheel.  USE EYE PROTECTION...

Best,

Fred
Thanks, Fred! I fortunately didn't try the tungsten out yet, family time, so postponed til tomorrow. Will try what you suggested first. I appreciate the input!!!

Shark Hunter

Take your time with it.
Patience always wins. I would soak it is some transmission fluid for a couple days.
Life is Good!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 08, 2019, 06:22:18 AM
Take your time with it.
Patience always wins. I would soak it is some transmission fluid for a couple days.
Thanks, Daron, for another great tip, I do appreciate the help!

RowdyW

Remember to wear a mask or some kind of covering for your mouth and nose and do it outside. Remember that's asbestos you are dealing with.                    Rudy

Caranx

If it is till hard to get the washer out, use a dull 1/4" drill bit and drill holes at a low rpm into the washer. Pick out the washer in pieces.

rfkca

If you're not saving the washer (I assume you're not), applying heat from a propane torch works for me. I spray a little (very little) wd 40 on the washer, place it in a vise, apply flame tip to bottom and sides of main gear for 15 seconds, let it cool for a 15 seconds, apply a pick to the the spot where the gap should be (from the bottom of washer to inside of base of main gear) and push it out. If not successful, repeat.  Wear heatproof gloves, eye protection etc as recommended above. Use a rubber dremel bit to clean up the base of the main washer.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: RowdyW on March 08, 2019, 09:53:30 AM
Remember to wear a mask or some kind of covering for your mouth and nose and do it outside. Remember that's asbestos you are dealing with.                    Rudy

Exactly what Rudy said! Wet it down with oil, not water. Oil will keep the fibers in solution.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mike1010

Quote from: RowdyW on March 08, 2019, 09:53:30 AM
And remember that many of the off-brand (non-Dremel) "stainless" brushes have a high lead content.

RowdyW

Quote from: rfkca on March 08, 2019, 04:58:49 PM
If you're not saving the washer (I assume you're not), applying heat from a propane torch works for me. I spray a little (very little) wd 40 on the washer, place it in a vise, apply flame tip to bottom and sides of main gear for 15 seconds, let it cool for a 15 seconds, apply a pick to the the spot where the gap should be (from the bottom of washer to inside of base of main gear) and push it out. If not successful, repeat.  Wear heatproof gloves, eye protection etc as recommended above. Use a rubber dremel bit to clean up the base of the main washer.
Be careful how much heat you put to the gear, it is a HEAT TREATED gear. To much heat will draw the temper out of the gear & make it worse then using a bronze gear.