Jig master frames?

Started by Reel Newbie, March 08, 2019, 10:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Newbie

Is there a possible graphite half frame for the jigmaster? Seems like just dropping the metal frames will bend them and bind up the reel. Any way to get to penn to consider to start production when the senator gets them from the factory? Seems like it would update the jigmaster and increase strength and tankiness. Thoughts?

RUSTY OLD COLT

Great idea maybe a penn rep is watching this site, I would love for them to make a stainless steel reel stand for the penn 501 which would also fit the newell 220

Reel Newbie

I'm thinking of a half frame sort of like the ones on the last few models of the Long Beach. Large blocks of graphite and a steel(?) reel foot. Some brass inserts for the screws would be nice too, but at that point I might just be asking for too much.

tristan

Quote from: Reel Newbie on March 09, 2019, 05:15:24 AM
I'm thinking of a half frame sort of like the ones on the last few models of the Long Beach. Large blocks of graphite and a steel(?) reel foot. Some brass inserts for the screws would be nice too, but at that point I might just be asking for too much.

Very good idea.

I'd be in for a couple, at least.

JoseCuervo

I think I misread your post. You mean the stock bars and foot, I believe. My apologies. Check out Tiburon.

https://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/jigmaster

I hope you can't bend a P20 frame just by dropping it. I think you would have to go out of your way to bend it.

Yogi_fish808

The profit margines penn makes on jigmasters is pretty narrow, I'm just glad they're still being produced even if it is in China. I don't see a frame upgrade as a high priority for them to update the jigmaster. Trust me they're aware of the aftermarket upgrades for the jigmaster. If you'd like a stronger frame from a jigmaster you can find an accurate or tiburon frame. Newell bars/base are also a good option and a little cheaper than 1 piece frames.

Darin Crofton

I have a few newell kits for some of my JM's and they're super light, you can find them on fleabay, but doubt Penn will produce something similar, one can dream though...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mike1010

The weakness in the stock Jigmaster "frame" is the reel foot attachment, those short screws.  A Newell kit doesn't really address that.   A Tib frame does better because stresses on the reel foot are distributed through the one-piece frame.  The drawback to the Tib frame is weight.   A similar frame made of graphite would be a good option.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: mike1010 on September 10, 2019, 04:11:34 PM
The weakness in the stock Jigmaster "frame" is the reel foot attachment, those short screws.  A Newell kit doesn't really address that.   A Tib frame does better because stresses on the reel foot are distributed through the one-piece frame.  The drawback to the Tib frame is weight.   A similar frame made of graphite would be a good option.

For a diy solution on those short screws that attach the quick-release ring you can run longer countersunk screws. I think I did that for the 2 newelled stockplates jigmasters I built.

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on September 11, 2019, 04:07:42 AM
The weakness in the stock Jigmaster "frame" is the reel foot attachment, those short screws.  A Newell kit doesn't really address that.   A Tib frame does better because stresses on the reel foot are distributed through the one-piece frame.  The drawback to the Tib frame is weight.   A similar frame made of graphite would be a good option.

For a diy solution on those short screws that attach the quick-release ring you can run longer countersunk screws. I think I did that for the 2 newelled stockplates jigmasters I built.

I don't think a screw longer than the mating threads helps, no matter the application. A frame that allows longer screws is really the only solution, but you have to pay for it as a stock JM is what it is, a very capable and reasonably priced conventional salt water reel. I fish them with confidence. Like any gear, take care of it. If you gravity check it not mounted to a rod, you might have some issues. It will take some general banging around like anything else.

ETA: Speaking to the foot / base / stand issue more than anything. Longer screws into posts is a good thing.

Ron Jones

The weakness in the stock Jigmaster "frame" is the reel foot attachment, those short screws.  A Newell kit doesn't really address that.   A Tib frame does better because stresses on the reel foot are distributed through the one-piece frame.  The drawback to the Tib frame is weight.   A similar frame made of graphite would be a good option.

I'm not sure I buy that. I've fished a lot of Newell kits; and fished with people who have used tons of them. When you consider that every Newell reel is esentially using a Newell kit for a Penn, there's a lot out there. I've never heard of a Newell foot failing. With the exception of availability and plugging the holes for the top post on some models, I see no practical advantage to a Tib or Accurate frame over a Newell kit.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have had several hundred stock Jigmaster pass through my hands over the years.  I have seen a few with bent stands, but the number that I have seen where the screws ripped out of the stand is exactly zero.

mike1010

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on September 11, 2019, 05:13:03 AM
I have had several hundred stock Jigmaster pass through my hands over the years.  I have seen a few with bent stands, but the number that I have seen where the screws ripped out of the stand is exactly zero.

I believe that, but it's surprising.

mike1010

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 11, 2019, 04:20:11 AM

I'm not sure I buy that. I've fished a lot of Newell kits; and fished with people who have used tons of them. When you consider that every Newell reel is esentially using a Newell kit for a Penn, there's a lot out there. I've never heard of a Newell foot failing. With the exception of availability and plugging the holes for the top post on some models, I see no practical advantage to a Tib or Accurate frame over a Newell kit.
The Man

I had not thought things through before writing what I did about the Newell foot.  Its design allows for longer screws than the Penn foot.  But according to Randy, Jigmaster foot screw length is not an issue, anyway.  My concern came from my gut and a single reel I saw that had the foot ripped out, but then I don't know the history of that reel.

Reel Newbie

Wow, didn't think this would blow up a little. But anyways I would assume that a graphite frame would be a little more abuse and neglect friendly, because I usually fish piers and dropping an aluminum framed reel would just scuff up the finish, while a graphite frame can resist corrosion no matter how many scratches are on it. I have also heard of frame corrosion where the aluminum touches the chrome  side rings, but I don't have an aluminum framed jigmaster/squidder/surfmaster to prove that.